[EM] IRV and Brown vs. Smallwood

Juho Laatu juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Apr 12 12:35:17 PDT 2009

One more observation about the strategy and
long term promotion of candidates.

In the polls before the election the voters
may mark all the candidates but in the actual
election they may leave out some favourites
with no chances to win in order to make sure
that their vote will not harm their favourite
candidates with chances to win.

Some votes may use the strategy when it is
needed. Some voters may use it always
(safely). Some voters may never use it. In
the presented example such a mixture of
voting behaviour would guarantee that the
radical candidates will be eliminated early
enough not to spoil the election from their
supporters' point of view.

Some information is lost in the actual
election but if there are good polls that
information may be readable there (and new
candidates will get publicity that way and
their viability will be considered before
voters decide whether to rank them in the
actual election. Long term promotion of
candidates may thus still work and new
entrants may grow even if the strategy is
actively followed.

If one wants to get full rankings also in
the actual election one could use such IRV
variants where this problem is not too bad.
I sometimes proposed forcing voters to
approve more and more candidates when their
first candidates are too weak. No candidates
are eliminated from the race, so they may
"come back" if they have lots of secondary
support (like the moderate candidates in the
example).

The described strategy may not materialize
very strongly in real life since voters
often are quite eager to support their first
preference candidates. But as already noted
in some scenarios (like in the example) it
would be better to apply the strategy since
using the wrong strategy (sincerity) may
lead to a bad outcome that may be clearly
visible (especially if the votes will be
published). (Alternatively some variants of
IRV could be used.)

Juho