[EM] IRV and Brown vs. Smallwood

Kathy Dopp kathy.dopp at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 16:23:19 PDT 2009

> Message: 2
> Date: Thu, 02 Apr 2009 18:53:47 -0700
> From: "Don & Cathy Hoffard" <dchoffard at verizon.net>
>
> Kathy Dopp Said:
>>Let's hope that the Minnesota Supremes have more sense and more
>>concern for the principles of the US constitution, than the IRV
>>promoters at "Fair" Vote.
>
> IRV is, instant voting, and it is reasonable to assume that a voter could
> not change their mind in an "instant".

Is it also "reasonable" to assume that all voters whose candidates are
eliminated before the final counting round would chose not to vote in
the final round in an "instant"?

And is it also "reasonable" to assume that all voters whose first
choice loses and whose second choice is never considered are OK with
never having their second choice counted in an "instant"?

And is it also "reasonable" to assume  that all voters whose 2nd and
3rd choices are only considered after it is too late to help their 2nd
and 3rd choices avoid elimination are OK with never having their 2nd
or 3rd choices considered in a timely fashion?

And ETC and on and on?

Is it also "reasonable" when IRV elects a winner who the majority of
voters oppose in an "instant"?

Don, your conception of "equality" is surely different than my own.

Kathy