[EM] (MA-2) Societal institution of communicative action

Michael Allan mike at zelea.com
Sat Sep 27 04:28:54 PDT 2008

Raph Frank wrote:
> > > It might also be worth discussing possible renormalisation of votes
> > > here to cancel out participation bias.  Also, it might be worth adding
> > > in actual participation bias in the final election.
>
> It also has the advantage that it encourages voters turnout in the
> main election.
>
> For example, if the last election was 4 years ago, then the turnout
> estimate for the 22-25 age group might be determined (at least partly)
> by the turnout for the 18-21 group in the last election (as they are 4
> years older now).

The adjusted results can then be offered as alternative views of the
election.  Just like we offer results that include/exclude votes based
on the criterion of authentication method (open cast, private coin,
etc.), we will also offer results that are/are not weighted for
participation bias.  The viewer can choose which view is most
appropriate for her purposes.

A wider range of alternative views and combinations could be offered
by third parties.  The design allows for provision of extended
electoral services/analyses by external sites, independent of the core
server.

--
Michael Allan

Toronto, 647-436-4521