[EM] Question on RCV/IRV multi-seat method used in Minneapolis

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Thu Sep 25 07:50:46 PDT 2008

At 05:33 PM 9/24/2008, Raph Frank wrote:

>A Hare election with 10 seats will end up being a Droop election with
>9 seats, except for a 1 in a million chance that all the votes are
>assigned under Hare and thus all 10 seats are filled.

If you use Droop quota, simple: an extra seat is allowed should
everyone get it together. If we go as far as the direct-elector
democracy idea, each seat is by default exercising the quota of
votes, whatever it was. Electors who are holding votes at the end
could still vote directly.

A critical realization in my own process was in realizing that we
left direct democracy behind as impractical because of the difficulty
of *deliberation*, not because of the difficulty of *voting.* I think
of a "seat" as being allowed representation in deliberation. And
might as well allow them to vote as well, and to exercise the default
votes that elected them, as long as electors don't choose to vote
directly. Thus we gain the efficiency of representative democracy,
the protection of secret ballot for most voters, and the democratic
ideal of allowed participation, without thereby incurring participation bias.