[EM] Random and reproductible tie-breaks

Stéphane Rouillon stephane.rouillon at sympatico.ca
Thu Sep 25 06:54:51 PDT 2008

Hello Raph,

maybe I was not clear. I mean an equiprobable but determined tie-breaker.

First if we want to break a tie. Using your data,
>A wins: 1234
>B wins: 6542
>C wins: 2539
B wins and no need for any tie-breaker.

However to determine a winner in case for triple equality
I would proceed like that:
1) establish an index for winner using alphabetical order (A is 1, B is 2
and C is 0)
2) divide the tie value by the number of equally concerned candidates
For
>A : 1234
>B : 1234
>C : 1234
we obtain 1234 = 411 x 3 +1. Thus A wins.

For
>A : 6542
>B : 6542
>C : 6542
we obtain 6542 = 2180 x 3 +2. Thus B wins.

For
>A : 2539
>B : 2539
>C : 2539
we obtain 2539 = 846 x 3 +1. Thus A wins.

Using total turnout is less random and easier to manipulate for fraud during
a recount.

Tie-breakers have no need to be clone-independent. You cannot predict a tie
will occur
before the election and it would be ridiculous to strategize on this
hypothesis.