[EM] Fwd: Question on RCV/IRV multi-seat method used in Minneapolis

Jonathan Lundell jlundell at pobox.com
Wed Sep 24 14:18:42 PDT 2008

On Sep 24, 2008, at 2:04 PM, Raph Frank wrote:

> I think a combination ranked + asset is a reasonable compromise.
>
> It is possible to say, "I like you but not your friends", especially
> to a politician.
>
> (Extra note)
> I am thinking of political parties here.  Many voters cast non-party
> based voting in PR-STV elections, but candidates are likely to only
> transfer within the party.

OTOH, there's no particular reason (save logistics) that a ranked
ballot couldn't be completed according to some ranking other than that
provided by a candidate. A voter could point explicitly to a
candidate's ranking, or a party's ranking, or the Sierra Club's
ranking, whatever, to finish off a ballot.