[EM] Question on RCV/IRV multi-seat method used in Minneapolis

Kathy Dopp kathy.dopp at gmail.com
Tue Sep 23 10:06:29 PDT 2008

Hi Jonathan,

I know that IRV is nonmonotonic in cases of single winner elections,
but what I am asking is have any examples been provided of IRV's
non-monotonicity in cases where there are multi-seat elections where
excess votes above a threshold number to win a seat are transferred
above the established "threshold" level?  And the transferred excess
votes are transferred to voters' second choice candidates and weighted
according to the proportional amount of second choices for each
candidate in the excess votes above the threshold?

I.e.  Do the URLs you provided show examples of the non-monotonicity
of multi-winner IRV elections counted using the above methods of
transferring excess votes using mathematical formulae to transfer
correct proportions of excess votes?

Thanks.

Kathy