[EM] Question on RCV/IRV multi-seat method used in Minneapolis

James Gilmour jgilmour at globalnet.co.uk
Tue Sep 23 02:06:27 PDT 2008

> On Sep 22, 2008, at 4:33 PM, Kathy Dopp wrote:
> > Does anyone know of another election scheme that allows for the split
> > of a vote into fractions?  Do other jurisdictions with IRV use
> > fractions to transfer surplus votes over a threshold amount, other
> > than Minneapolis?

> Jonathan Lundell   Sent: Tuesday, September 23, 2008 2:35 AM>
> Scotland, among others.
>
> Though we typically don't call multi-seat STV "IRV".

On the assumption that Kathy Dopp was enquiring about multi-winner STV-PR used in public elections (as there are no surpluses to
transfer in IRV), the answer is almost all of them.  The best-known exceptions in major public elections are Ireland in the version
of STV-PR used to elect the Dáil Éireann (the lower house) and Malta.  Ireland uses fractional transfers (via multiplication by
1000) for its Senead STV-PR elections.  Northern Ireland uses the Gregory Method (fractional transfer values, last parcel only).
Australia uses the flawed Inclusive Gregory Method (averaged fractional transfer values, all papers transferred) for its Federal
Senate STV-PR elections (as do some Australian States).  Scotland and Western Australia use the Weighted Inclusive Gregory Method
(weighted fractional transfer values, all papers transferred) for their STV-PR elections.  New Zealand uses Meek STV (weighted
fractional transfer values, all papers transferred, votes transferred to already elected candidates) for its STV-PR elections.

James Gilmour

Checked by AVG.