[EM] Feeling left out in Sefton

Michael Allan mike at zelea.com
Sat Sep 20 23:31:25 PDT 2008

Fred Gohlke in "language/framing quibble" wrote:

> ... a draft of the petition outlining a method of selecting
> candidates for public office... PRACTICAL DEMOCRACY... Candidate
> Selection By The People of Sefton...

Hi Fred,

Could the method leave electors feeling left out?  Suppose I am an
elector.  I participate in a level 1 triad, but go no further.  The
decision process then bubbles up through the higher triads.  This
takes about 3 months.  During this period, can I have any influence on
the outcome?

My concern is a feeling of distance.  Mass voting gave me immediacy
and equality (however illusory).  We all had a single vote, and we
decided the issue in a day.  Suppose detractors are harping on this
very point.  Can the new process stand up to their attacks?  If it is
not popular, it will fail.

--
Michael Allan

Toronto, 647-436-4521