[EM] Delegable proxy/cascade and killer apps

Raph Frank raphfrk at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 06:17:47 PDT 2008

On 9/18/08, Michael Allan <mike at zelea.com> wrote:
> Sorry, then my definition of "network effect" was wrong.  I doubt we
>  disagreed about anything else.

Np, there is also a possibility that mine was wrong too :).

>From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_effect

"In economics and business, a network effect (also called network
externality) is the effect that one user of a good or service has on
the value of that product to other users."

So looks like network effects can also be a negative effect, but
network effect almost always means a positive effect in practice.

You could argue that driving on a road has a network effect, but it is
negative as it reduces the value of the road to others due to
congestion.

In any case, my thoughts would be that

V(N) is the value per user if N users are using the system.
P(V) is the number of people who would use the system if it had value V
C = cost per user (time, direct cost etc.)

V increases with N and P increases with V

The critical mass, Nc, is the lowest N where, it is worth it for the
N+1 people to use the system

P(V(N) - C) > N+1

Ideally, this should remain true for all N > Nc

Ahem, if you want to really get technical, you also need to cover the
free rider effect.

P(Vp(N) - Na(N) - C) > N+1

Vp = value if you participate
Va = value if you don't bother

It is possible that a considerable portion of the benefits will go to
those who don't bother to participate.

> The separate "out" Wiki gives me a clean copy, so people know I
>  approved it.  I like that part.  But I can get that from a single Wiki
>  too.  The last revision edited by me is the clean copy.
>
>  With a single Wiki, I don't have to do all of the text integration
>  (from in to out) by myself.  Often the inputter's own integration will
>  suffice.  I just clean it up a little.

That is true.  Maybe have a link to the "owner's last edit" and a way
for the owner to just click 'approve', which would just edit the page
without actually changing anything.

Alternatively, maybe it automatically goes to that page, rather than
the newest revision.  The history would be split into older -> current
-> newer.

> (The number of proxies may not be huge.  In the early stages it will
>  be small.  On the other hand, with a little patience, it may
>  eventually grow.  So there's openings in time, as well as space.)
>
>  But you agree that every draft ought to have an un-suppressable
>  presence, even if nobody else likes it.  That's all I was arguing for.

Yeah, all users should be able to create wikis.