[EM] language/framing quibble

Raph Frank raphfrk at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 06:31:48 PDT 2008

On 9/12/08, Fred Gohlke <fredgohlke at verizon.net> wrote:
>  re: "You have created a conflict of interests here.  People who don't set
> aside their own ambition are favoured."
>
>  Can you supply a rationale to support this statement?

A person who wants to be selected would try to convince the other 2 to
support him, even if he thinks one of them would be better.

This is the conflict of interests.

>  Since the human dynamics are the most important aspect of any electoral
> process, I'd like to understand the forces that would cause aspirants to set
> aside their own ambition.  When a group selects one of three people to
> represent the other two, what human dynamic will thwart the natural tendency
> of each to pursue their own interest?

Well, I made a suggestion.  Have one triad judge the other.  The 3
'judges' are thus not deciding which one of them makes it to the next
round.

This means that they would pick the one who they think is best.

Ofc, there still is a slight conflict of interests, someone might vote
for a weak candidate, so they would have an easier time defeating him.