[EM] sortition/random legislature Was: Re: language/framingquibble

Aaron Armitage eutychus_slept at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 11 14:16:45 PDT 2008

You make a lot of good points. I can actually see quite a few useful
functions for the kind of temporary issue-specific panels you describe.
For example, they could examine line-items in the budget, and have the
option to approve it, veto it, or send it back with the demand that it be
increased or decreased. If it's sent back it may be necessary for the
legislature to leave it as it was despite the panel's demand, because, for
example, it may demand an increase in funding for a program that actually
deserves more funding, but the state is required to keep a balanced budget
and tax revenues are down. (On the other hand, all the vetos other panels
are doing should free up some extra money.) Redistricting is an obvious
function that could be given to a panel.

I would still argue that the central body that sets the agenda (and votes
on final passage of the overall package produced by the citizen panels)
should be elected. It's not that I think citizens should have to appeal to
powerful legislators, they should be deciding who those people will be.