[EM] sortition/random legislature Was: Re: language/framing quibble

Aaron Armitage eutychus_slept at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 11 12:32:42 PDT 2008

You sound a little bit like an impatient know-it-all yourself.

I already addressed Athens, but to repeat: the central institution of
Athenian democracy was not chosen by sortition but was self-selected. You
might also consider the generals more carefully. If you're concerned about
individuals acquiring arbitrary power, the generals are the people you
should be most worried about. But the people of Athens made sure they kept
control over who would be chosen.