[EM] No geographical districts

Juho juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Sep 11 06:30:06 PDT 2008

On Sep 5, 2008, at 4:00 , Stéphane Rouillon wrote:

> Hello Juho,
>
> using age, gender or other virtual dimension to build virtual
> districts
> replaces geographic antagonism by generation antagonism.

Ok, also that may happen. Each society should pick dimensions that
suit them best. (I'm just listing different options.)

> The idea is to get equivalent sample that are not opposed by
> intrinsec construction.

If the intention is not to divide people to groups that defend the
interests of that group (or just feel like being part of the same
group), then one could get rid of the districts altogether and use
only one nation wide district.

> Thus we may find neutral decision takers that will minimize the
> overall
> bad impacts of a decision, thus maximize to the best of their
> knowledge
> the decisions for all the electorate. If you split representative
> into groups who have divergent opinions, the result will not
> optimize common interest, it will only illustrate the "rapport de
> force"
> (maybe translated as power struggle) between the representatives.
> Age representatives would hardly stay neutral while deciding
> retirement fees and pensions for example.
>
> The Irish senate based on profession seems one step toward getting
> neutral decision takers
> for deciding the localization of projects for example.
> I prefer equivalent samples of the entire electorate (phone numbers
> or hash tables using names could work too, but it has some slight
> discrepancies and problems...)

Yes, if one wants to avoid any groupings (like age groups, regional
groups, races, political parties) then maybe electing a random set of
citizens (trying to avoid giving them the opportunity to organize
themselves) could be the best approach. Some groupings are however
likely to emerge afterwards even if we would elect the
representatives by some random selection method.

Juho