[EM] sortition/random legislature Was: Re: language/framing quibble

Raph Frank raphfrk at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 05:00:15 PDT 2008

Sorry, pressed reply instead of reply to all

On 9/11/08, Aaron Armitage <eutychus_slept at yahoo.com> wrote:
 > It doesn't follow from the fact we choose representatives for ourselves
 >  that we would lose nothing by being stripped of the means of political
 >  action. We would lose our citizenship, because citizenship means precisely
 >  having a share of the right to rule. Registering for a lottery doesn't
 >  count.

So, any form of randomness is not acceptable?  What about one of the
 the proposed random ballot rules, where if there is consensus, a
 specific candidate wins.  However, if that doesn't work, the winner is
 random.

 > That isn't very reassuring. Who would do the informing? The permanent
 >  staff?

I meant that there is little point in thinking about issues before
 being elected.

 The informing would probably be by the other members.

 Another option would be to select maybe 25% of the legislature at a
 time, so informing could be handled by the 75% who remain.

 This would happen semi-automatically if the vote of confidence method was used.

 However, I do agree that it is a potential issue.  Often good
 government depends not just on doing the right thing, but also
 convincing the public that you are doing the right thing.  A random
 legislature would not have to do any convincing.

 > If someone succeeds in becoming a career legislator, quite a few private
 >  interests will have an incentive to buy him. A legislator in that position
 >  may not need much for campaigning, but there are plenty of other things he
 >  can do with their money instead.

However, balance of power would be with the voters.  The degree to
 which politicians can act with impunity to public opinion is
 determined by how hard they are to vote out.

 All they have to do is lose one vote of confidence and then they will
 (almost) never be reelected.

 In any case, I don't see how the fact that the politicians can be
 corrupted is a disadvantage of the system, seeing as it can't be any
 worse than a normal method.

 Also, it has the advantage that any normal voting method inherently
 favours those who want the power.