[EM] sortition/random legislature Was: Re: language/framing quibble

Raph Frank raphfrk at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 16:34:21 PDT 2008

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 12:30 AM, Raph Frank <raphfrk at gmail.com> wrote:
> A two House solution seems to help with that though, you still need to
> know what is happening in order to pick the elected house.

Also, it could work like the Irish Seanad and have persuasive power only.

For example, the Seanad can only block legislation for 180 days.  This
means that if the Dail want to pass some bill, they can by waiting and
passing the bill a second time.

However, in most cases, amendments made by the Seanad improve the bill
and are thus kept.  In fact, I don't think the Seanad was ever
overridden using the 180 days rule.

They prevent bills that are passed impulsively from instantly becoming law.