[EM] language/framing quibble

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km-elmet at broadpark.no
Wed Sep 10 10:35:21 PDT 2008

Terry Bouricius wrote:
> Although it may be off-topic for a VOTING method list, I have long
> advocated a greater use of sortition (the selection by lot) to select
> legislators (perhaps one chamber of a bicameral legislature?) Having
> served ten years as a state legislator in Vermont, USA, I can assure you
> all that legislators are not more qualified, nor wiser, as Burke hoped,
> but rather simply less-representative and more egotistical, than average
> people. The experience and excellent work of the Citizen Assembly
> established by the provincial parliament in British Columbia a few years
> ago is compelling evidence that elections may not be the key to genuinely
> representative democracy.

While it is useful to discuss voting methods, better yet would be make
the question of the best voting method irrelevant. If that's a
possibility, then discussing voter-free methods would still be on topic.

The central question at that level is whether random selection (or a
voter-free method) would be better than even the best voting method.
There may be differing opinions - the Greeks thought that elections were
inherently aristocratic - and I think the answer depends on the situation.