[EM] the 'who' and the 'what'

Raph Frank raphfrk at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 09:33:24 PDT 2008

On 9/10/08, Kristofer Munsterhjelm <km-elmet at broadpark.no> wrote:
>  If you take the parallel system strategy to its extreme, you'd get a
> "parallel organization" where (as an example), a group elects a "double
> mayor" and support him over the real mayor, essentially building a state
> inside the state. I don't think that's very likely to happen, though; as
> hard it may be to alter the nation through voting, it's going to be even
> harder to make a duplicate state from nothing, and that duplicate state
> would still have to abide by the laws of the real state.

This was similar to the route that was used in Ireland as part of the
mechanism to obtain independance.

The legislators that were elected refused to go to the London
Parliament and instead setup their own local one.

However, I think in most cases, setting up such a system would count
as treason.  This is especially true if it started getting powerful.

I guess it depends on what is the official purpose.  The founders of
the Irish Free State refused to recognise the London Parliament's
right to Ireland.

It would be different if the alternative system recognised the power
of the real state and was just organising and would only use powers
held by its members.