[EM] language/framing quibble

Terry Bouricius terryb at burlingtontelecom.net
Wed Sep 10 08:20:46 PDT 2008

Aaron makes a fundamental point about sortition...it may be "democratic"
(the ancient Greeks thought it was more democratic than elections), but it
is not what we call a "republican" form of representation, which involves
people evaluating and choosing individuals (or parties) through election
and granting authority to this select group to govern on their behalf,
with those legislators subject to sanction and removal at periodic
elections. Sortition to create a scientifically accurate representative
subset of the entire community is closer to the concept of a democratic
assembly than a classic republic. The members of a sortition legislature
would not be "accountable" to any voters.  Each would simply be
accountable to her/himself, knowing there are a proportionate number of
other people in the society that think much the same way that they do on
issues.

I can imagine a system in which one sortition body was charged with
deciding what issues needed public action (agenda setting), and then
various other legislative bodies were created for limited duration by
sortition, each addressing a narrow range of issues (so they could gain
some expert knowledge). Perhaps a national sortition legislative body
would be selected randomly from local level sortition bodies, so the
members already have some experience in how to deliberate, etc.

This may be fanciful, but since this model has actually been utilized in a
limited way in at least a couple of Canadian provinces (which is more than
can be said of many voting methods discussed on this list), it may not be
so far-fetched.

Terry Bouricius