[EM] the 'who' and the 'what'

Michael Allan mike at zelea.com
Sat Sep 6 07:35:39 PDT 2008

Kristofer Munsterhjelm wrote:
> ...and third, further decentralizing changes will be next to
> impossible to get through when the ruling parties are so few and
> hence so much a central power.

What about an alternative electoral system, in parallel?  If voters
really want to see change - if they really want to choose the 'who'
and the 'what' - a parallel system would give them an opportunity to
vote with their feet.  If nothing else, they might be curious to learn
how the results would differ (who would be Mayor, for example) if the
selection wasn't restricted to party candidates.

This is part of the idea behind Votorola.  Its default voting engine
(delegate cascade) could be replaced, if anyone wished to experiment
with another mechanism.  The rest of the system (electoral districts,
voter lists, trust network, mail and Web interfaces, and so forth)
could be used off-shelf.

  http://zelea.com/project/votorola/home.xht

--
Michael Allan