[EM] Free riding

Raph Frank raphfrk at gmail.com
Fri Sep 5 09:34:48 PDT 2008

On 9/5/08, Kristofer Munsterhjelm <km-elmet at broadpark.no> wrote:
>  Not really. The vote transfers happen indirectly through reduced
> satisfication scores. If a voter doesn't vote for a party and instead votes
> for a group of personal candidates, his satisfication score will be lowered
> for the potential assemblies with only party members in them, and increased
> for the assemblies with independents in them, and so the chance of the
> method picking one of the latter would increase, also.

A voter who ends up with a full strength vote at the end is not represented.

A party with 20% of the vote in a five seater would likely tell its
supporters to vote just for their party.  This effectively wastes
around 3.3% of the vote as they only needed 16.7% of the votes.

Once their candidate is elected, they have no further effect on the
election (unless they also voted for non-party memebers).  The party's
2nd candidate will hover at 10% of the vote until the last count and
unless another party also does badly, will not be elected.

Larger parties have the advantage that they can more easily transfer
votes between their candidates.  All you do is tell your supporters to
approve all your candidates.

For example, assume voters approve only their party's candidate.

(5 seater)