[EM] No geographical districts

Stéphane Rouillon stephane.rouillon at sympatico.ca
Wed Sep 3 15:01:24 PDT 2008

Hello electorama fans,

regarding that last comment, I invite those interested in non-geographical
district
to consider astrological district. The idea is to obtain equivalent samples
of the electorate
in term of any distribution (age, geography, profession, language,
religion,...) like
poll survey use. For example, in Quebec with near 4 000 000 electors, we
could
obtain around 73 (73 x 5 = 365 days) of less than 55 000 electors each.
Thus electorate results could indicate a better performance from some
candidates
instead of reflecting the district bias produced by its design.
For example the first district could be formed with all Quebecors born
between
1st and 5th of january, the 2nd with Quebecors born between 6th and 10th of
january
and so on...

For more details of an electoral system using such "districts", search for
SPPA
(Scrutin Préférentiel, Proportionel et Acirconscriptif in french).
An english version is available on the electoral reform website
of the British-Colombia citizen assembly.