[EM] A computationally feasible method (algorithmic redistricting)

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km-elmet at broadpark.no
Wed Sep 3 14:59:45 PDT 2008

Brian Olson wrote:

> I guess my time in Computer Science land has left me pretty comfortable
> with the idea that there are lots of problems that are too hard to ever
> reliably get "the best solution". I don't know if there's a short-short
> popularizing explanation of how finding a good solution is Hard while
> measuring the quality of a solution is pretty quick.
>
> If anybody asks and it's not the time, place, or audience for discussing
> NP Hard problems, I will wave my hands and say, "Hey, look over there!
> Good results, on my one puny computer! With more it'd only get better!"

I think puzzles and games make good examples of NP-hard problems.
Sokoban is PSPACE-complete, and it's not that difficult to show people
that there are puzzles (like ciphers) where you know if a solution is
right, but it takes effort to find the solution. That's pretty much the
point of a puzzle, after all (although not all puzzles are NP-hard; they
can be fun even if they're not, as long as they do something for which
it's challenging to find a solution).