[EM] A computationally feasible method (algorithmicredistricting)

Terry Bouricius terryb at burlingtontelecom.net
Mon Sep 1 07:22:26 PDT 2008

I would argue that developing a genuinely neutral redistricting procedure
is of little value as long as single-seat winner-take-all election methods
are used. Although, it is easy to create redistricting plans that are
clearly UNfair, there is no such thing as a genuinely "fair" districting
plan.

Are folks on this list familiar with the Proportional Representation
Society of Australia's redistricting roulette wheel (you can find a
wonderful graphic example here http://www.fairvote.org/wheel/ )? Using
this wheel, you can draw compact, equal-population district boundaries, in
a "fair" way, and end up with any partisan balance desired.

After studying redistricting in the U.S., the Vermont League of Women
Voters adopted this position:

"The emphasis on geographic representation in legislative bodies in the
U.S. may be anachronistic. It is more important that voters be represented
by elected officials who reflect their political views, than happen to
live nearby. Single-seat winner-take-all elections, regardless of method
of redistricting, elevate the representation of geography above political
philosophy, and other priority voter self-identities.

"It is impossible to redistrict single-seat districts in such a way as to
promote BOTH competitive elections AND a highly representative delegation
(as these two priorities are in  inherent conflict in single-seat
districts). Therefore,

"The League of Women Voters of Vermont supports the principle of
legislative districts using alternative voting methods, such as
proportional representation in multi-seat districts, as a way of achieving
both competitive elections and fair representation of both majorities and
minorities within a district."

-Terry Bouricius, Vermont USA