[EM] Some chance for consensus (was: Buying Votes)

Raph Frank raphfrk at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 17:52:37 PDT 2008

On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 12:16 AM,  <fsimmons at pcc.edu> wrote:
> Jobst,
>
> That was a great exposition of how to find the consensus candidate when there is one.
>
> Not quite as important, but still valuable, is achieving partial cooperation when that is the best that can be
> done:
>
> 25  A1>A>>A2
> 25  A2>A>>A1
> 25  B
> 25  C
>
> Here there isn't much hope for consensus, but it would be nice if the first two factions could still cooperate
> on gettiing A elected, say 25% of the time. (50% seems too much to hope for)
>
> It seems to me that if we require our method to accomplish the potential cooperation in this scenario while
> achieving consensus where possible, the ballots would have to have more levels, and there would have to be
> an intermediate fall back between the consensus test and the random ballot default.
>
> What do you think?

I was thinking of a 'stable marriage problem' like solution.

Each voter rates all the candidates.

Each voter will assign his winning probability to his highest choice
(probably split equally if he ties 2 candidates for first).

If 2 voters 'marry', then the candidate with the highest score sum is
the compromise candidate.

Solve the stable marriage problem.  It might be necessary to randomly
split the ballots into 2 'genders' to guarantee that a stable solution
exists.

Using the above example:

G1:  A1(100) A(70) A2(0)
G2:  A1(0) A(70) A2(100)
G3: B(100)
G4: C(100)

(unnamed options are rated zero)

If a member of G1 'marries', then the compromises are
G1: A1 (+0)
G2: A (+40), i.e. 100->70 (-30) and 0->70 (+70)
G3: A1 and B tie (+0) .. effectively not a 'marriage'
G4: A1 and C tie (+0) .. effectively not a 'marriage'

Thus rankings are
G1: G2>G1=G3=G4

Similarly
G2: G1>G2=G3=G4
G3: all equal
G4: all equal

Thus the 25 G1s will 'marry' the 25 G2s and compromise on A.

The result being