[EM] Nondeterminism in Multiwinner Methods

Raph Frank raphfrk at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 12:46:49 PDT 2008

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 7:12 PM, Kristofer Munsterhjelm
<km-elmet at broadpark.no> wrote:
> A multiwinner analog of random
> candidate would be vulnerable to cloning, and I don't think random ballot
> (pick n ballots) would be proportional either.

Actually, pick n ballots would be proportional.  If there are N seats
and you have 1/N support, then on average you will get one seat.

Ofc, there would be variation from the average.  An extremist faction
could win all N seats, but that is not likely.

However, that is also true for single seat random ballot, a candidate
with 1% support could win.

Has anyone considered PR-STV with random ballot elimination?  It would
work exactly like PR-STV except one ballot would be picked and the
lowest ranked candidate on the ballot uneliminated candidate would be
eliminated (excluding elected candidates).  Also, ballots that are
being 'held' by elected candidates would not be included for
selection.