[EM] Making a Bad Thing Worse

Raph Frank raphfrk at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 13:46:13 PDT 2008

On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 9:17 PM, Stephen Turner <smturner0 at yahoo.es> wrote:
> In terms of population then, both houses
> of the U.S. Congress give extra influence to small states
> like Wyoming, whereas the  Senate was created as
> it is precisely as a countervailing force to the large
> states, in the so-called Great Compromise.  Arguably
> the House of Reps should not have the same characteristic.

The effect is pretty small though.  Also, the automatic one seat rule
also benefits the small states and the Huntington-Hill rule achieves
it automatically, which is elegant.

Another option would be to 'just' increase the House size to 10,000
and that would virtually completely eliminate the small state EC bias.

> (Off-topic: are other people finding the threading of
> electorama messages confusing?  For some time
> it has separated subject from message body and
> sent double copies of the latter.  But no-one
> has mentioned this AFAICT.)

I am using gmail, and some threads are not properly threading, some
posts appear to be the start of a new thread.

Also, I think gmail automatically only shows double mails once.