[EM] About Condorcet//Approval

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Mon Oct 20 16:42:07 PDT 2008

Hi Kristofer,

--- En date de : Lun 20.10.08, Kristofer Munsterhjelm <km-elmet at broadpark.no> a écrit :
> You could also have the approval version of Smith,IRV. Call
> it
> Condorcet,Approval. I think it's Smith (so it would be
> Smith,Approval),
> but I'm not sure. The method is this: Drop candidates,
> starting with the
> Approval loser and moving upwards, until there's a CW.
> Then that one is
> the winner.

This method has been invented from scratch a few times; most recently
it was called "Definite Majority Choice."

I don't think it can be described using double-slash or comma notation...

For instance Smith//FPP would mean that you eliminate all non-Smith
candidates and elect the FPP winner pretending that the eliminated
candidates never existed. Whereas Smith,FPP would mean that you elect
that Smith candidate who had the most first preferences to start with.

When "Condorcet" is the first or "Approval" is the second component, it's
not likely to make a difference which punctuation is used.

> Is Condorcet,Approval (Smith,Approval?) nonmonotonic? If
> not, and it is
> Smith, then you have a simple Smith-compliant
> Condorcet/approval method.

It satisfies Smith and monotonicity.

Kevin Venzke