[EM] Making a Bad Thing Worse

Raph Frank raphfrk at gmail.com
Mon Oct 20 05:19:05 PDT 2008

On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 1:08 PM, James Gilmour <jgilmour at globalnet.co.uk> wrote:
> Raph Frank  > Sent: Monday, October 20, 2008 12:44 PM
>> Ballot access is pretty open in the UK, and you don't see
>> lots of former party members running.
>
> Thus each
> party has total control of which candidates may use its name or any of its registered descriptions or its registered emblems.

Right.

The point I am trying to make is that even without ballot access laws
(and sore loser laws), the nomination of a major party is critical to
being elected.

Candidates who aren't nominated by their party tend not to bother to
run, as they have little if any hope.

The exception would be an incumbent or someone who can convince the
voters that he actually does have a chance, but they are exceptions
not the rule.