[EM] Voting Requirements

Michael Rouse mrouse1 at mrouse.com
Sun Oct 19 06:51:40 PDT 2008

Greg Nisbet wrote:
> Breaking a bit with voting methods, I would like to bring up another
> issue regarding one's ability to influence politics: suffrage.
>
> As the only one here not legally qualified to vote, I must express
> dissatisfaction with the status quo.
>
> There were several historical requirements for being able to vote:
>
> 1. Citizenship
> 2. Residency
> 3. Age
> 4. Criminal Record
> 5. Sex
> 6. Race
> 7. Class (arbitrary non-race inherited characteristics)
> 8. Wealth
>
> Half of these requirements are gone, only the first four remain.
>
> I disagree with 3 and 4 (and to a lesser extent 1 and 2).

I think #1 is necessary by definition. Even if you extended the
franchise to everyone, that just means that everyone would be considered
citizens. Quoting from Wikipedia (as an example, rather than a
reference)  "Citizenship is membership in a political community
(originally a city or town but now usually a country) and carries with
it rights to political participation; a person having such membership is
a citizen."

On the subject of age, rights and responsibilities should be shared
among citizens. A child who does not have the same responsibilities as
an adult (to defend the country, for example), or is not considered an
adult in a court of law, might be excluded from the right to vote. (As a
side note, this is one of my disagreements with Selective Service -- my
sister served in the Air Force, so I know first hand it is not a lack of
ability but political will that keeps the requirements for citizen
involvement different for men and women.)

As for my own political view, I think Robert Heinlein's idea (Service
Equals Citizenship) is rather interesting -- it's certainly fairer than
"Citizenship Equals Service" that accompanies a draft. Make both
military and civilian service acceptable, and open it to anyone who can
complete a specified period of service to the nation, and you wouldn't
have to worry about age or birth requirements -- a 14-year-old Canadian
could join if he was willing and able to serve.

Of course, this is all part of my sneaky plan to reduce the number of
lawyers and politicians, since I'd require both groups to be citizens. :)

On a more serious note, my view is that citizenship has a certain value,
and confers a certain obligation. Exchanging value for value seems fair,
and requiring a person to serve the country they want to vote in is no
more onerous than requiring them to play taxes (which are in effect,
requiring them to set aside a portion of their time and labor in service
to their country). I'm probably in a tiny minority on this subject, though.