[EM] Voting Theory and Populism

Diego Santos diego.renato at gmail.com
Sat Oct 18 19:12:36 PDT 2008

Hi Raph,

2008/10/18 Raph Frank <raphfrk at gmail.com>

> On Sat, Oct 18, 2008 at 11:45 PM, Diego Santos <diego.renato at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Raph, you should see my Improved Approval Runoff. This method avoids that
> > the approval winner competes in the runoff with his/her/its clone.
>
> This method, I assume?
>

> http://listas.apesol.org/pipermail/election-methods-electorama.com/2007-August/020654.html
>
> It might be worth trying to be formal definitions of all methods on the
> wiki.
>
> However, it looks like it isn't working at the moment :(.

Yes, I will put the definition when the problem in the wiki be solved.

> In effect, sequential proportional approval voting is used to pick 2
> candidates and they are sent to the runoff (but only if the approval
> winner gets less than 50%).
>
> Since it is a PR method, this would likely mean that there is a
> centrist (the approval winner) and a random off-centre candidate.
>
> I do like the concept of requiring that the approval winner gets 50%.
>
> What strategy is it designed to protect against?

Improved Approval Runoff is a trying to fix Two-round runoff, to avoid cases
like 2002 French presidential election. You can approve your favourite
candidate with low chances of winning, and other satisfactory frontrunner.

In Rio de Janeiro mayor election of this year, for example,the polls
revealed than the 1st candidate was Eduardo Paes, a centrist, and the 2nd
was Marcelo Crivella, a conservative protestant politician. The leftist
votes were splitted between Fernando Gabeira (Green party) and Jandira
Feghali (Communist Party). On the election day, many voters of Feghali
changed their votes for Gabeira, an espontaneous compromise strategy (in
Brazil we call this strategy as "voto útil = useful vote"). The result is
that Paes and Gabeira will contest the runoff.

If Rio election was conducted using Improved Approval Runoff, Feghali`s
supporters were be able to approve both Feghali and Gabeira.