[EM] Making a Bad Thing Worse

Terry Bouricius terryb at burlingtontelecom.net
Sat Oct 18 07:29:41 PDT 2008

Actually, Maine and Nebraska do NOT apportion electoral college seats in a
proportional way.
Instead of statewide winner-take-all (as in all other states), they use
plurality winner-take-all in each congressional district within the state,
with the remaining two seats going to the statewide plurality winner. The
results COULD be roughly proportional or even LESS proportional than
statewide winner-take-all by happenstance of how supporters of various
candidates are distributed around the state.

However, with true proportional distribution of electors, there is also
the increased likelihood of no majority winner in the electoral college,
which throws the election of president to the House of Representatives,
with one vote for each state (my tiny state of Vermont delegation gets one
vote and the massive state of California delegation gets one vote)...which
is even LESS proportional than the electoral college makeup.

Terry Bouricius