[EM] You Can't Have it Both Ways

Michael Allan mike at zelea.com
Sat Oct 18 05:56:25 PDT 2008

Greg Nisbet wrote:
> My position: I don't like paternalism... I think that the electoral
> system should be free of political manipulation because such is
> tantamount to tyranny. I'd say the purpose of electoral reform is to
> free voters from manipulation of their opinions by those already in
> power. The government ceases to be the servant of the people if it
> can control what they ask it to do.

I agree with your position: The electors ought not to be manipulated.
They ought to be guided soley by their own communications.  So how can
we help?  Specifically:

  1. What reform can free the electors of external manipulation?

  2. Through what plan of action can we implement the reform?

  3. In the act of implementing the reform, what assurance do we have
     that we ourselves are not manipulating the electors?

--
Michael Allan

Toronto, 647-436-4521
http://zelea.com/project/votorola/home.xht