[EM] Simulation of Duverger's Law

Raph Frank raphfrk at gmail.com
Fri Oct 17 01:50:45 PDT 2008

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 12:44 AM, Kevin Venzke <stepjak at yahoo.fr> wrote:
> I think what we need to see, are IRV elections to a chamber that is
> not parliamentary (i.e. there is no particular prize for one party getting
> the most seats). Perhaps in that situation IRV could support more than
> two parties.

In Ireland, the rule is that the Taoiseach (PM) needs to obtain the
support of a majority of the Dail before he is appointed.  This seems
pretty fair.  There is no specific incentive to obtain the most seats
(parties can always form a coalition later).

However, it looks like in (nearly?) all other parliamentary countries,
the rule is that the leader of the largest party is appointed.  The
eliminates the need to form a coalition.