[EM] Issues with the Majority Criterion

Raph Frank raphfrk at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 03:11:31 PDT 2008

Greg, I am not sure if it is you email tool, but your posts don't seem
to be threading correctly for me.

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 7:20 AM, Greg Nisbet <gregory.nisbet at gmail.com> wrote:
> I would say it is that if X is ranked/rated strictly first by more than
> half of the voters, then X should win.
>
> =What would co-first candidates imply?

I would suggest a modification:

if X is ranked first by more than half of the voters and the winner is
not also ranked first by more than half of the voters, X must win.

This would in theory allow a candidate with 51% approval to beat a
candidate with 99% approval.

In instant top-2 runoff, that might get a little complex :).

If I voter

approved: A,B
Ranked: C>A>B>(rest)

Who is first ?  Ofc, the above vote is unlikely to be an optimal vote.