[EM] IRV vs Condorcet vs Range/Score

Terry Bouricius terryb at burlingtontelecom.net
Mon Oct 13 16:17:46 PDT 2008

Aaron wrote:

"A candidate that hardly anybody likes won't be running a strong
enough campaign for more mainstream voters to even know who he is; their
truncation is less likely to be a strategic countermove than a simple
expression of ignorance. FairVote's boogeyman, a CW with no first
preferences at all, cannot happen because unless he was his own first
preference he wouldn't run."

Okay...ONE first choice.  As to the rest of your point ...
two comments...
1. Some elections are small with little impact of money or campaign staff
and no polling.
2. In some polarized situations a candidate who almost nobody knows (and
they might hate if they knew) can still be a Condorcet Winner due to the
"anybody but X" dynamic -- Voters KNOW they hate one of the other
candidates, who they fear might win, and so rank (or score) every
candidate ahead of their hated choice.

Terry Bouricius