[EM] Fwd: FW: IRV Challenge - Press Announcement

Aaron Armitage eutychus_slept at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 7 21:16:54 PDT 2008

But this must be true of any multiwinner system when the voters do not
fall into blocs that are evenly divisible by the number of seats,
including (especially) plurality when considered by reference to the
overall popular vote. And as for single-winner systems, as bad as IRV is,
it's massively better than plurality by any virtually desirable quality
ever identified by voting theorists.

I see in another brief you posted that the plaintiffs are making exactly
opposite arguments, that surplus transfers dilute vote strength and that
they augment it. Both are wrong, of course: they make it as close to even
as possible. By transferring fractions of votes, each bloc of voters is
represented in proportion to its size, which is means each individual vote
is equal. If, as your court filings seem to demand, much smaller groupings
had their second-choice rankings treated exactly the same as larger groups
of voters' second choices, the smaller groups' members would be
individually more powerful by the factor by which their groups were
smaller.