[EM] Why We Shouldn't Count Votes with Machines

Raph Frank raphfrk at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 11:19:58 PDT 2008

On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 4:30 PM, AllAbout Voting
<AllAboutVoting at gmail.com> wrote:
> So I will ask a pair of constructive questions:
> 1. Can Condorcet voting be compatible with precinct level optical scan
> systems?  (which many election integrity advocates consider to be
> pretty good)

Condorcet is precinct countable.  You just need an N*N grid of numbers
from each precinct.

> 2. Can Condorcet voting be compatible with end-to-end verifiable
> election integrity systems such as punchscan, 3-ballot, etc...?

Each condorcet vote can be converted into an N*N grid with a one or
zero in each box, kinda like a single person precinct.

With the proper machine, a ranked ballot could be converted into an
N^2 Yes/No questions.  This would allow 3 ballot to be used.

Ofc, it would be pretty complex as only certain arrangements are
possible and this goes against the 3-ballot requirement that the
machine be simple.