[EM] Why We Shouldn't Count Votes with Machines

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Sat Oct 4 17:16:26 PDT 2008

On  Sat, 4 Oct 2008 23:59:51 +0100 James Gilmour wrote:
> Dave Ketchum > Sent: Saturday, October 04, 2008 7:37 PM
>
>>Plurality does fine with two candidates, or with one obvious
>>winner over others.
>

> I am horrified to read this statement on this list.  It is completely and utterly untrue.  Plurality fails on almost every count
> even when there are only two candidates in each electoral district and even when only two parties contest the elections.

We have to be doing different topics.

PROVIDED there are only two candidates, all there is to do is pick one -
and many methods can manage this with about equal effort.

I promote Condorcet BECAUSE I like what it does with more candidates.

Other methods have value in their environments.

> No, plurality is a rotten voting system and it is a pernicious myth that it works OK when there are only two parties or only two
> contesting candidates in each electoral district.  We British who spread this appalling voting system around the world owe the
> electors of many countries an almighty apology for this dreadful legacy!!
>
> James
                  If you want peace, work for justice.