[EM] Why We Shouldn't Count Votes with Machines

Kathy Dopp kathy.dopp at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 21:58:37 PDT 2008

James,

Nice sales piece for electronic ballot rigging machines that fails to
mention that it is impossible to ensure that e-votes are not tampered
with.

Here is a great film done by graduate students at the University of
California, Santa Barbara in their Computer Security Group who show
how easy it is to rig elections with any e-ballot voting machines - in
four different ways that would subvert any post-election audits -
because even the voter verifiable paper ballot records are easily
rigged to match fraudulent vote totals:

http://www.cs.ucsb.edu/~seclab/projects/voting/

The graduate students' film is easy for any lay person to understand.
It requires no computer expertise to follow.

It is amazing the utter cr-- that voting machine vendors and election
officials continue to put out to the press that is contrary to all
fact and common sense.

Cheers,
Kathy