[EM] Asset Voting

Greg Nisbet gregory.nisbet at gmail.com
Sat Oct 18 23:22:35 PDT 2008

Is asset voting a good thing? Let's review.

The CRV supports it on the basis of obeying all sorts of wonderful properties.

http://math.temple.edu/~wds/homepage/multisurv.pdf

My intitial response to this is that Asset Voting is only able to
achieve such compliance through poverty of expression.

Asset Voting is no more expressive than SNTV.

Iterative systems are based on "conditional" votes, meaning their
relative values change with regard to what has "happened". For
example, your vote shifting to a less preferred candidate in IRV is a
result of a more preferred candidate being permanently excluded from
victory.

The consequences of this are dire. Let's put this in perspective.

Asset Voting is equivalent to STV with one large difference: only
O(candidates) ballots are possible as opposed to O(candidates!) with
STV. Even worse, these are not even revealed on the ballot. The voter
gets no control over reallocation, the candidates are not bound to
anything. I argue that restricting the domain of expression is not the
best way to go about representing the will of the voters. Voters
should be allowed to pick and choose among the candidates at will.

I looked through the arguments made in favor of asset voting and their
does not appear to be one concerning this point.