[EM] Issues with the Majority Criterion

Greg Nisbet gregory.nisbet at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 19:37:28 PDT 2008

This is my understanding of the majority criterion:
If X is supported by >=(floor(.5*number_of_voters)+) voters as their first
choice, then X should win.

If the method doesn't satisfy FBC, how can this be regarding as a good
thing, isn't it just making a massive compromising incentive?

Does a method count as majoritarian if a majority can impose its will, but
doesn't necessarily have to?

Also, how do you define membership in a majority.

Let's pretend Alice votes Candidate X = 100 Candidate Y = 60

With respect to the majority criterion, does she belong in Camp X, or 100%
in Camp X and 60% in Camp Y?

The answers to these problem are far from obvious, but I would like to at
least address the ambiguity.