[Election-Methods] Partisan Politics + a method proposal

Juho juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue May 27 22:47:03 PDT 2008

On May 28, 2008, at 1:24 , Dave Ketchum wrote:

>>> The   rules
>>> possibilities.
>>> to  make
>>>
>>> This puzzles.  You need ONE set of rules for all to understand,
>>> with a few details such as number of nominators for a nominee
>>> tailored to getting reasonable quantities of candidates.
>> Ok, the example below gave one set of rules for one need.
>> Generally I  just identified a list of tricks that can be used in
>> a random vote  based methods to make them usable in various
>> situations.
>
> Looking at ALL the races voted on at a precinct, they share ONE set
> of voters, who can be expected to start asking questions if the
> rules differ.

Yes, if there are several elections for the same set of voters then
at least there should be a clear justification of any differences. I
think people can understand if there are some extra limitations on
who can be elected as the president when compared to who can be
elected for some minor duties.

> Your reference to "random vote" sounds like a purpose would be to
> prevent winning by the candidate the voters prefer.
>      Certainly we should want the voters to make intelligent
> informed choices.

I agree that for most elections the deterministic methods are more
recommendable than the non-deterministic ones.

Juho