[Election-Methods] D(n)MAC

fsimmons at pcc.edu fsimmons at pcc.edu
Fri May 23 17:31:31 PDT 2008

Dear Jobst,

Thanks for your encouragement.  And D(n)MAC/RB it shall be!

I also wanted to speak my admiration of your outline of a computationally effective way of carrying out
your trading method: quite a tour d'force with many beautiful mathematical ideas elegantly applied.

Here's a further partial result, that might interest you.

Suppose that we have 2Q>P>Q>0, P+Q=100, and factions

P: A>C>B
Q: B>C>A
 with C rated at R% by all voters.

If R = Q/2^(n-1) + P, then (under D(n)MAC/RB) the common strategy of each faction approving C on
exactly Q ballots is a global equilibrium , so that the winning probabilities for A, B, C become
1-2Q%, 0, and 2Q%, respectively.

This can be thought of as implicit trading, since the second faction moves C up to equal-first on all Q of
its ballots, while the first faction moves C up to equal-first on Q of its ballots, as well.

The expected "utilities" for the two factions are

EA = (100-2Q)+R*(2Q)%, and
EB = R*(2Q)%.

For example, if P=60, Q=40, n=3, and R=70, the equation R=Q/2^(n-1)+P is satisfied, so

the global equilibrium strategy is for both to approve C on 40 ballots, yielding the winning probabilities

20%, 0, and 80%, respectively,

so that the expectations are

EA= 76, and EB=56,

compared with the benchmarks of 60 and 40, respectively.

With these values of P, Q, and R, the number  n would have to be  4 (or more) in order to get unanimous
support for C.

In that case we would have

EA=EB=70.

Here's the key to my calculations:

Let X and Y be the number of ballots on which C is approved in the respective factions.

Then the probability that no candidate is approved on all n of the drawn ballots is given by the formula

g = 1 - q^n - p^n - (x+y)^n + x^n + y^n,

where p=P/(P+Q), q=Q/(P+Q), x=X/(P+Q), y=Y/(P+Q).

So g is the probability that an additional random ballot will have to be drawn to decide the winner.

Then the respective probabilities for wins (under D(n)MAC/RB) by A, B, and C are ...

pA = p^n+g*p - when(X+Y>P, x^n, else 0)

pB= q^n+g*q - when(X+Y<Q, 0, else y^n)

pC=(x+y)^n - when(X+Y>P, 0, else x^n) - when(X+Y<Q, y^n, else 0).

Miraculously, these probabilities add up to 1 !

The two faction expectations are

EA = pA + R*pC,  and
EB = pB + R*pC

>From there, it's all downhill.