[Election-Methods] Partisan Politics

Fred Gohlke fredgohlke at verizon.net
Tue May 20 10:08:25 PDT 2008

Good Morning, Mr. Lundell

I'm sorry my response is taking so long, but I'm working my way through
the link you gave me to John Stuart Mill's treatise regarding Mr. Thomas
Hare's proposal.  He makes the case for political proportionality
admirably, although his antipathy for his country's Conservative Party
forces some extra care in considering his arguments.

It will take me a bit longer to compose my response.  The temptation to
cite segments of Mill's essay and comment on them is strong, but I'd
like to avoid doing so.

I am posting now to thank you for providing such a powerful link.  I'd
had a small exposure to Mill in a different context, but was unaware of
this treatise.  I'm enjoying his thoughts and his mode of expressing
them.  Digesting them is worth the effort.  I commend them to anyone
with an interest in the topic.

Fred