[Election-Methods] Fwd: [LWVTopics] IRV Voting

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Sun May 11 12:21:36 PDT 2008

I commented, and posted it directly to Ms. Dopp
and to the list. The list has a 40KB limit,
beyond which messages require moderation.... I
presume it will show up, otherwise I'll chop it in two.

At 08:01 AM 5/11/2008, Juho wrote:
>On May 11, 2008, at 1:58 , Kathy Dopp wrote:
>
>>From:  <LWVTopics at yahoogroups.com>
>>Date: Sat, May 10, 2008 at 7:22 AM
>>1a. Re: IRV Voting is a really Bad Idea
>>    Posted by: "Steve Chessin" steve.chessin at alum.mit.edu steve_chessin
>>    Date: Fri May 9, 2008 10:43 pm ((PDT))
>>
>>Kathy doesn't say what voting method she prefers, but it's well-known
>>among electoral experts that there is no such thing as a perfect
>>voting
>>system.

Juho didn't pick up on this. It's a very common
Fairvote argument, often repeated with about the
same exact phrasing. Essentially, if someone
points out how IRV has some lousy characteristic,
this is trotted out. IRV is actually
spectacularly bad, but anything they can say to
deflect the criticism, they will say. And it's,
simply, and plainly, not true. Arrow's theorem
does not apply to all voting methods, only to
strictly ranked methods. Arrow's Theorem points
out that a certain narrow set of characteristics,
which seem, at first sight, to be reasonable, are
mutually contradictory. There is another theorem,
Gibbard-Satterthwaite if I remember the name
correctly, which goes a little further, but neither covers Range Voting.

Ranked methods in general make an assumption that
is blatantly false: that all preferences have the
same strength. Just to give an example of how
this distorts thinking, it's very common to
assume that the Condorcet Criterion is
practically golden for election methods (even
though IRV fails it). If there is a candidate
preferred by a majority over all other
candidates, that candidate should win. But we
routinely avoid taking that choice in small
groups and organizations, when the preference of
the majority is small and the preference of the
minority is great (and there is not a large gulf
in numbers between the majority and minority).
Thus the ideal winner of an election, in
situations where all voters will, after the poll,
agree that this was the best result, is not
uncommonly other than the Condorcet winner. But
ranked methods can't collect that information,
the ballot form does not allow it. One ranked
method comes close: Borda count, and it does it
by making a rough approximation: that the
preference strength between two candidates is
proportional to the number of candidates ranked
between those two by the voter. Borda is often
considered a bad method because this makes it
vulnerable to strategic nomination, Borda fails
independence from clones, which is one of the
criteria considered by Arrow. But Range doesn't,
because no such assumption is made by Range. If a
Borda election is slightly modified, so that,
say, there are as many ranks as candidates (true
for Borda), but the voters can equal-rank and,
the corollary, leave ranks blank, Borda becomes
Range. But the ranking is no longer strict, and
Arrow's theorem ceases to apply.

>>Yes.  I prefer IRV to all other systems for electing a single
>>winner to
>>an executive office because it elects a majority winner in a single
>>election without the need for a separate expensive runoff election.
>
>Yes.

Again, what I've seen with many students of
election methods is that they start out with
this. But the incorporated assumption just stated
is false. IRV doesn't find a majority winner in a
single election, and not just rarely. Frequently.
When an IRV election, in the real world in the
U.S., where ranks are normally limited to, say,
two or three, if a majority doesn't appear in the
first round, it doesn't appear in the later
rounds. Almost always. So Juho, you just agreed to something false.

That's not an expected result, I was quite
surprised to find it once I started actually
looking at the elections. There is a bit of a
word trick here. By redefining "majority" the
proponents of IRV have managed to make it *seem*
that a majority is found, and they report
results, typically, showing a majority. But it's
not a majority of votes cast, it's a majority of
votes left standing after ballots with
inconvenient votes on them ("exhausted ballots")
are discarded and not included. You could get
this result with Plurality. Just use the same
elimination procedure. (It's *really* easy to do
so, since *nobody* in Plurality has cast a second
preference vote!). But we wouldn't consider that
the Plurality winner was a "majority" winner just
because that winner had a majority of the votes cast for the top-two.

This is an old debate trick. Instead of stating
an argument directly, it is stated indirectly, as
an incorporated assumption, as part of an
argument about something else. Most people will
be distracted by the something else, and the
incorporated assumption just slides in
practically unnoticed. Does IRV "find a majority
winner?" What does that mean? It has a meaning
with all other methods that is *different* from
what the IRV people make it mean when considering
IRV. Top-two runoff, the common method that is
being replaced by IRV, actually does (almost)
guarantee a winner, by having two elections when
needed. The winner gains a majority in the second
election, or not. In theory, in some
jurisdictions, the electorate, if it does not
want to accept the top-two, could vote for a
write-in candidate, so if the preference strength
is great enough, top-two is Condorcet compliant.
As a practical reality, we have a radically
unorganized electorate, so it's quite unlikely to happen.

But IRV can declare a "majority winner" -- and
even a large majority of votes cast -- when, in
fact, a *large* majority of voters have voted
against the IRV winner, as shown on the ballots,
because IRV hasn't counted all the votes, it has
eliminated some candidates before finding the
votes for them over the IRV winner. This is
important enough, and clearly common enough in
the relevant situations, that Robert's Rules
mentions it as a flaw of the system. But FairVote
is only going to quote what seems approving from
Robert's Rules, and, I've seen it, struggled
mightily against including the *rest* of the
information from Robert's Rules relevant to IRV
in the article on "Instant-runoff voting" on Wikipedia.

>>   It
>>eliminates the spoiler effect
>
>Yes it does when there are two major candidates and few minor
>candidates. The IRV related problems mainly emerge when there are
>more than two candidates with serious chances of being elected.

Yes. FairVote will allege that the problems of
IRV are rare and that nobody is pointing to
actual elections displaying them, but (1) IRV is
only being used, in the places where it has been
long used, where there is a strong two-party or
two-coalition system, as with Australia. IRV
protects the major parties from the spoiler
effect, when the minor parties are small, so it
actually favors them. (STV, with many-member
districts, is much kinder to minor parties.) and
(2) Very few elections have been reported in
sufficient detail to allow a showing of the
problem. Remember, IRV doesn't even count the
votes that would be involved. The data is on the
ballots, but access to that data is difficult or impossible.

However, most of the elections using RCV
(three-rank IRV) in the U.S. are nonpartisan.
Still, the extra rounds are turning out to be
moot. They aren't changing the results over
first-round plurality. If we were comparing IRV
with simple plurality, that would be one thing,
but normally IRV -- in most of the elections --
has replaced top-two runoff, that's pretty much
the only pre-existing condition that can justify
the huge expense. (Many of the jurisdictions that
FairVote touts as having "approved" IRV actually
have not, if approving it includes finding the funding to implement it.)

Top-two runoff seems to reverse the primary
result about one-third of the time. IRV has yet
to reverse the first-round result even once, in
about 23 elections that went to multiple rounds.
That alone was surprising. But which really
should have those interested in the performance
of election methods paying close attention is
that, in none of these elections did the *runner-up* shift.

Now, there are a couple of possible explanations
for this. Perhaps the first round votes are more
sincere with IRV than with top-two runoff, though
that seems unlikely to be causing such a massive
effect. It seems to me that top-two sufficiently
allows most voters to vote sincerely in the first
round, under most circumstances, such that most
first round votes would be sincerely preferred,
even though the voter can vote for only one.

However, suppose it is true that IRV is making
the right choice in the first round, it's helping
voters to be sincere. If so, Bucklin would do the
same job at far lower expense. Bucklin, in the
Duluth form, had three ranks. The first two ranks
were like an IRV ballot, and the only difference
with the third was that the voter could vote for
as many candidates as desired in third rank. The
third rank can be used, for example, as an
"anybody but Joe" rank, by voting for all
candidates but one. (Which does not harm one's
favorite, because that vote is moot in every
other pairwise election except the one with Joe.)

Historically, in some Bucklin elections -- but
not the ones I have examined in detail --
additional rank votes were only used by perhaps
ten percent of voters. But this simply means that
voters did vote sincerely in the first rank,
without constraint. Bucklin has, then the
desirable characteristics alleged for IRV,
without the problems, and especially without the
expense. Approval is even simpler than Bucklin,
and is essentially free, it only takes a very
minor change in counting procedure: just count
all the votes. Stop discarding overvotes. (Which
with automated equipment, is *more* work. So
Approval might actually be cheaper than Plurality.)

>>, and it encourages positive
>>issue-oriented campaigns instead of mudslinging opponent-attacking
>>campaigns.
>
>Probably better than plurality here but not as good argument against
>other methods.

Again, Juho swallows the argument because it
sounds reasonable. It hasn't done it. Show some
evidence to the contrary, if you want to claim this benefit.

>>   It is also easy to understand and easy to administer.
>
>Basic understanding is easy enough. Inability to count the local
>results locally maybe makes "administering" not as easy as in some
>other methods.

Juho got that one. However, IRV is more
complicated than meets the eye. Sometimes voting
sincerely in IRV is a very bad idea. Especially
when there are many candidates and only three
ranks. Depends. IRV fails the Favorite Betrayal
Criterion, which means that sometimes it pays to
downrank one's favorite in order to improve the result for the voter.

>>[...] I don't think most people would support a system
>>that would declare the winner of a 3-way race the candidate who was
>>the
>>first choice of only 6% of the voters.
>
>This reaction is possible in the US with respect to the presidential
>elections where there is a strong tradition that the winner always
>comes from one of the two major parties. In some other elections (and
>maybe in US presidential elections too) people might also be happy to
>get a candidate that is liked by all instead of getting one of the
>extremists that is not liked by half of the voters.

What if we actually ask the people? Of course,
we'd have to educate them first. The implications
aren't necessarily obvious from the get-go. In
fact, when leading IRV advocates have debated
directly with critics, in privately-circulating
mails (seen by small groups of people), they have
often claimed that "Fine, you've got your
theoretically superior method, but people aren't
going to accept it, they aren't sufficiently
educated, and you can't accomplish that. You
should join us because we have the political momentum."

Essentially, by coming up with this "IRV is like
your familiar top-two runoff, but you don't have
to have that inconvenient and expensive runoff
election," argument -- which, historically, was
not at all an argument for IRV (which wasn't
known by that name, it was called "preference
voting" or "alternative vote"). Because it's a
quite spurious argument, IRV differs greatly from
top-two runoff because with the latter, the
voters can actually consider the top two afresh,
whereas often when there are many candidates,
voters aren't sufficiently familiar with enough
of them to intelligently rank more than one or
two. IRV essentially prevents these voters from
taking part in the decision, on the grounds that
by not adding the extra ranks, they are
"indifferent," and therefore it is as if they did not vote in the runoff.

A real top-two runoff only requires that the
voter research or know about two candidates, not
many. What does the voter do, presented with 23
candidates in a San Francisco single-winner RCV
election? What they used to do was vote for their
favorite, plain and simple, in the first round.
And many still do that, you can tell by the large
numbers of exhausted ballots. Do they not add
ranked votes because they are indifferent? No,
because they are ignorant, in a very
understandable way. They are actually moderately
well-informed citizens if they are familiar with
and support one or two of the candidates! To be
able to rank three starts to become unusually
well-informed, and, then, even if they do rank
three, if it's the wrong three, i.e., they
sincerely voted for their preferred three, their
vote may easily be disregarded entirely and much of it not even counted.

Sure, voters can easily think IRV is an
improvement. But they haven't examined what's
under the hood, and it may take a few years for
those who know to be able to explain it to them.
Don't bank on IRV continuing to be used in places
that have adopted it. Historically, it was used
in the U.S. in a few different places, such as
Ann Arbor, Michigan. Once. Revoked by referendum
immediately. The method has been around for,
what, 150 years? It was used here. And then not.
So if a jurisdiction spends a lot of money to
implement IRV, on the theory that use for a few
years may pay back the increased expense, they
just might be setting up yet another expensive
election boondoggle, more money for the companies
that sell election equipment, and more trouble auditing the results.

>>Well, given that that list (if it's the one I think it is) is made up
>>primarily of advocates of other systems (Condorcet, Borda, Approval,
>>Range, to name a few), I am not surprised that they agree that "IRV
>>does not work" and that their own pet approach works better.
>
>I think the EM list does not systematically promote some certain
>methods nor attack some others. Individual members do often have
>strong and stable opinions but there is no unified front. There are
>not that many active IRV promoters but I'm sure they are just as
>welcome as promoters of some other methods.

They've been here in the past. Quite simply, they
can't take the heat. The bankruptcy of the
arguments like those Chessin is making -- the
same arguments have been made for years --
becomes way too obvious. What we've seen is that
FairVote activists will pop up in forums around
the internet, and mailing lists, and make these
arguments. When it happens that election
theorists show up and refute the arguments, they
just stop arguing and move elsewhere and repeat
the arguments. They know that most people don't
continue reading past a certain point. They are
quite willing to repeat defective arguments if
they know that they sound good at first blush,
and the major accomplishment of FairVote has been
to come up with these arguments.

Frankly, though, this style is a major part of
what is wrong with politics as usual. It comes to
be about winning instead of about discovering the
truth and making sound collective decisions. Rob
Richie, the Executive Director of FairVote, has
generally treated election methods experts with
contempt, as "ivory-tower theorists," and implies
that they are just as biased as him (just as
Chessin above impugned the Election Methods list,
which is open and which has no institutional
bias). In the view of those at the core of
FairVote, everyone is out for themselves, and
will essentially deceive to get what they want.
It's a corrupt point of view, self-reinforcing.
Most people are *not* like that. Most people
understand that when collective decisions are
carefully considered and are broadly accepted, it
benefits everyone, even if one does not always "win."

>>   But all
>>of them agree that our current election method, plurality elections
>>(complete with the spoiler problem), is the worst method.
>
>Many dislike plurality but I wouldn't say that all consider it to be
>the worst.

Essentially Chessin just makes it up. We've asked
them who these experts are that think what they
claim (they claim substantial support for IRV
from experts), and the answers have been few and
far between. And sometimes quite deceptive. Such
as Tideman, who has also deeply criticized IRV
and has gone so far as to call it
"insupportable." But because he made a few
positive statements about it, you can guess what
they quote. (And Tideman also made some serious
errors in certain of his analyses, but that's another story.)

>>The vast majority of informed opinion (not just that of the
>>IRV-dislikers) is that IRV is the best option for single-seat
>>elections.

I'm just going to say that he's lying. And the
APSA claim I went into in detail. From what I've
been able to find, APSA has never used IRV, they
use something else: a nominating committee (by
majority vote, but deliberatively, which happens
to be Condorcet-compliant) nominates a
President-election, who is then formally elected
at the annual meeting. I found no evidence that
the nomination was ever opposed. So it would be,
at best, unusual that there was any contending
candidate. And for IRV to be used there would
have to be two contending candidates, i.e., three
total, or more. It wouldn't be surprising to find
that this has never occurred in the almost
century that APSA has been around, and it would
also not be surprising to find that the provision
for it is that old. Preference voting was all the
rage when APSA was founded, and they simply chose
the sequential elimination form; in those days
political scientists didn't have much knowledge
of the various alternatives, and that remains
true for most. It's not taught, particularly, and
the field has, in recent decades, rapidly
expanded as economists and mathematicians became
interested (and some of the  interest in voting
methods always came from mathematicians and the
like, such as Dodgson.) Range Voting falls out of
economics theory, game theory, i.e., advanced
decision-making theory. Even though it's quite
easy to understand, actually. (When the votes
reflect real-world, verifiable quantities, such
as known economic benefits of various
alternatives to the voters, it's obvious that
Range Voting is optimal. It simply finds the
highest sum of benefits, the "greatest total
good." And then this good is broadly distributed
because there is not just one election, and the
"majority" and "minority" are not some fixed group of people.

Political scientists? Few have shown much
interest in election methods, which I've found
surprising. The expansion in knowledge of how
election methods perform, and about the
theoretical alternatives, is coming from
mathematics, economics, and from amateurs who follow an interest in the field.

So the *real* method used by APSA? Deliberative
process. If the nominating committee is broadly
representative (I think it is), what we *really*
have is a kind of parliamentary election, except
for a fixed term.) It's a deliberative method,
and it's likely to choose the best candidate from
the outset, without any mail ballot at all. Do
you know that we could easily do the like with
public elections? It's what Dodgson (Lewis
Carroll., yes, of *that* Alice) proposed in 1886.
Very simple. Very powerful. Very accurate and
full proportional representation, and the
"electoral college" created could then be used to
pick a single winner deliberatively.

>>   For example, the organization of political science
>>professors, the American Political Science Association, has
>>incorporated IRV into their constitution to elect their own national
>>president.  While the members of Kathy's list [Note: I never said that
>>this was "my" list] have their pet methods,
>>none of those methods are actually used for governmental elections
>>anywhere in the world.  In contrast, IRV is used in the United States,
>>and has been used for generations in places like Australia and
>>Ireland.  Also, none of the pathological scenarios the IRV-dislikers
>>like to put forth have ever surfaced as a problem.

See, there is a list of these bullet points. He
just crammed a whole series of false and/or
misleading statements into one short paragraph.
Someone who responds to him will normally, if
being civil, respond with far more words, but
Chessin et al know that the lies and deceptions,
many of them, will stick. After all, people will
think, he wouldn't dare lie, when his claims could be checked.

But: APSA, very, very misleading. No actual elections.

(Why didn't he say, "APSA uses IRV." Well, he
knows they don't use it! He would not have said
it the way he said it when he could have said it
much simpler if he didn't know. This propaganda was designed by a spin-master.)

"Kathy's list." Not the most notable mailing list
in the world for discussion of election methods.
Open. Associated with a wiki that IRV people are fully welcome to edit.

None of these methods are actually used.... not
true. Borda is used. Other methods *have* been
used, some of them for a very long time.

"Places like Australia and Ireland," is a device
for making two sound like more than two. Also,
what are really different methods are lumped
together as "IRV" by FairVote activists. For
example, they will tell you that the Mayor of
London is elected by "IRV," but it is what is
known as the Sri Lankan Contingent Vote. Batch
elimination, two rounds only. Closer to actual
top-two runoff, which is more accurately simulates.

"None of the scenarios ... have ever surfaced."
Again, notice the language, very carefully
crafted. Why not "haven't happened"? Well,
because he knows that we don't know that, for
reasons I've given above. However, if we look at
top-two runoff, there have been quite a few
elections showing center squeeze, and IRV, in the
first round, behaves similarly (and especially
Sri Lankan Contingent Vote does, precisely the
same). In France, for example, and in many other
places. The candidate who was almost certainly
the most popular, by comparison with the winner,
was passed over because of being third in first
preference votes. So, again, the way he makes the
statement, it is sort-of true, but it is also clearly deceptive.

And I call being deliberately deception by making
true statements "lying." Lying is about intent to
deceive, and the best I can come up with in
thinking about Chessin, Richie, and the like, is
that they display reckless disregard for the
truth. Once can easily pass off a few statements
like what Chessin has made here as being simple
disagreements or errors in expression. But when
it's consistent over the years, as it has been, I
have to personally come to a different
conclusion. These are skilled political
activists, they really don't care about the
truth, they care about winning. It's my hope that
their day is past, and I think I know how to ensure that.

It's not about which voting method is best.
Voting methods aren't really the problem. The
real problem is a heuristic one: how do large
numbers of people make collective decisions as to
how to communicate, coordinate, and cooperate?
Voting methods are practically a detail, comparatively.

>I think two-round runoff is more commonly used than IRV.

Right. Top-two runoff is *very* widely used. And
I claim, in fact, that top-two runoff is better
than IRV, and it's actually easy to prove from
the actual elections, reasonably well. Is it more
expensive? Probably. But that's easily fixed with
a *real* instant runoff system that counts all
the votes, and that would make runoff elections
rare. In our present political system, it is
crucial that we find the best winners in certain
elections, and if it takes a runoff and extra
inconvenience and expense, it is well worth it.
We are spending trillions of dollars in Iraq, so
what would I now think about the expense of, say, a runoff in 2000?

>>It is theoretically possible to have an election in which NO candidate
>>has majority support, like a rock, paper, scissors endless loop,
>>but IRV
>>is FAR more likely to elect a true majority choice than our current
>>plurality election method with its rampant spoiler problem.
>
>IRV would help in this one problem. So would some other methods.

Again, Juho isn't being sufficiently strong,
probably because he's unaware of the actual
performance of IRV> It is not finding true
majority choices. Notice the missing object of comparison.

IRV is *probably* far more likely to elect a
majority choice than simple plurality, when there
is a spoiler, which is relatively rare (but still
significant, to be sure). But IRV can fail
miserably, as noted, if any of those third
parties actually are so uppity as to become
realistic possibilities for winning. Warren Smith
has called IRV "political suicide" for third
parties, which have sometimes naively supported
it. That's beginning to change, as, for example,
some Libertarian leaders have come out, now,
against IRV and for Approval and Range Voting.
I'm pretty sure they'd like Bucklin, as well.

>IRV elects the majority winner when comparing the
>_two_last_remaining_candidates_.

Right. The FairVote activists claim that this
simulates top-two runoff, except that with real
top-two runoff there is a real election, with a
real campaign, and thus an opportunity for voters
to get to know the top two much better. This is
the most obvious reason for reversal of the first
round in one third of top-two runoffs, which
isn't even coming close to happening with IRV.
(If it were coming close to happening, we'd
expect to see the runner up changing, as well.
The runner-up isn't changing. The leader and the
runner up is the same before and after all the complicated vote eliminations.

>  It may fail e.g. to elect the
>Condorcet winner, a candidate that wins all others by majority in
>pairwise comparisons. Instead of the 6% example discussed above one
>could also look at the following example where electing the centrist
>C (with 30% first place support and 100% first or second place
>support) instead of A and B makes more sense.
>
>35% A>C>B
>15% C>A>B
>15% C>B>A
>35% B>C>A

I gave a slightly simpler example. Same idea.
Chessin wants people to believe that, okay, maybe
there is this odd situation, but really all it
takes is an election with three frontrunners,
three in range of winning. First preference,
above, they are roughly tied. That's the
dangerous situation, where the elimination
becomes rather arbitrary. There are other forms
of preferential voting which consider all the
votes, these are much better. Simplest is probably Bucklin.

>With IRV it may also happen that there are e.g. two right wing
>candidates in the race and the method eliminates first the one that
>would have also considerable left wing support, and this would leave
>the right wing at the last rounds with a candidate that left wing
>(and centrists) definitely do not want to support. Left wing could
>then win (to the disappointment of the right wing), or the less
>popular right wing candidate would win (to the disappointment of the
>left wing).

Complicated explanation. But, yes. It's called
Center Squeeze. And it is what Robert's Rules
talks about as a defect. FairVote propaganda
about Robert's Rules is all over the internet,
and I've seen it quoted on governmental web
sites. They have very carefully designed this
stuff to influence the masses and to influence
the influential. And quite deceptively. That's
what I object to, even more than the method they
are promoting. The original goal of the Center
for Proportional Representation was good, and
supported by most election theorists. But the
movement was quickly taken over by a core of
activists, at least one of them making it his
profession, and they were not about to allow
democratic process to confuse their strategies.
CPR became the Center for Voting and Democracy
and then FairVote. They don't actually believe in
democracy, they believe in winning.

>One reason why Condorcet promoters are less active is that there are
>many different Condorcet methods and the proponents of those methods
>each promote their own variant of the method. This means that they
>will also fight against each others and do not promote the Condorcet
>methods in general.

What I've seen, though, in every forum where the
question has been asked, the experts have agreed
that Approval makes very good sense as a simple
reform; quite a few have, of late, as well, come
to understand Range Voting and to recognize it as
theoretically ideal. There are still widespread
concerns about alleged tactical voting, but this
is a holdover, in my considered opinion, from the
thinking underlying ranked voting theory, which
was defective. Approval Voting is a bit misnamed.
It's Voting. And just count all the votes. Votes
are not sentiments, and by treating them as such,
and by assuming that there is some absolute
trait, and absolute relationship between a voter
and a candidate called "Approval," it becomes
possible to treat a vote where the voter votes
for his or her favorite alone as "dishonest."
Same arguments arise with Range Voting, it is
simply easier to understand with Approval. In
fact, Approval and Range *never* reward reversing
preference, which is not true for any ranked
method of which I'm aware. But by creating a new
kind of "dishonesty" -- voting equal preference
when one has an actual preference (in some
considerations by critics) or voting preference
when one allegedly "approves" of both -- critics
worry about the "vulnerability" of Range Voting
to strategic voting. But the methods they would
propose, instead, *force* strategic voting, under some conditions.

Reminds me of episiotomies. I was a midwife, for
a time, and we, working at home, of course, never
did episiotomies (making an incision in the
perineum to open up the birth canal). We did take
measures to encourage stretching. Occasionally
there was some tearing. So what do the doctors
do? They routinely do the incision. Since it
might tear, cut it. Wait a minute! How often does
it tear? (Usually not, or not much.) If it tears,
is there a problem with healing? (No, the rough
tear can be sutured together and heals better
than the clean cut). Nice article on it on
Wikipedia. Apparently, since my time in the
field, the medical profession began to realize
that they were doing more harm than good, and episiotomies are becoming rare.

In any case there are potential forms of Approval
or Range Voting that are Condorcet compliant. (It
always involves a runoff triggered by the
presence of a Condorcet winner, which can
generally be detected with Range ballots, and
it's easy to make Approval ballots usable for
that (Range ballots with at least as many ratings
as candidates, preferably more, can be used for
this with complete accuracy, under some
definitions of the Condorcet Criterion.)

>  Some of the methods are also clearly more complex
>than IRV, but some are also very simple and easily understandable.
>The vulnerability of different Condorcet methods to strategic voting
>is slightly different, which often makes the discussion very strategy
>oriented, and makes Condorcet methods look like being plagued by
>numerous strategy problems (more than they actually are).

The problem with the whole discussion of
strategic voting is that it's often backwards.
Voters use strategic voting to improve the
outcome. Some Condorcet methods make strategic
voting difficult. But that's making it difficult
for voters to improve the outcome!

What is really lost is that ranked methods don't
collect the information necessary to determine
the best winner, because the assumptions about
pairwise victories are defective. Preference
strength information is crucial to make a
judgement of "best winner," and the information
is simply missing from a pure ranked ballot. Now,
when Condorcet methods allow equal ranking, they
get better, and if the ballot has a fixed number
of ranks and voters can place the candidates
without restriction in each rank, and can leave
ranks blank (thus indicating a stronger
preference strength between two candidates than
if there is no blank rank intervening), the
information is there. And that is Borda, modified to make it into Range Voting.

If you then do pairwise analysis and discover
that there is a candidate who beats the Range
winner, you hold a runoff, you have made Range
Condorcet compliant by allowing the contingency
of a runoff. From simulations, it should be rare.
Range *usually* chooses the Condorcet winner.

Why would you hold an actual runoff? After all,
many election theorists would quickly opine, the
voters have already voted for the Condorcet
winner over the Range winner. Yes, they have. But
they haven't made that explicit choice, and, if
they have voted sincerely, the Range winner is,
in fact, the best winner. So we test it with a
runoff. Is the Range winner really the best?
Whenever there is a candidate who beats the Range
winner, that victory is, by definition, weak,
compared to the preference strength involved with
the Range votes that made someone other than the
Condorcet winner be the Range Winner.

Weak preference discourages turning out for a
runoff election. Further, some people who prefer
A over B, weakly, will change their preference if
they realize that overall satisfaction will be
higher if B is chosen. People do this routinely
with ordinary choices, they give up their first
preference to make a bigger difference with
others, and the fact that most people do this
most of the time makes society run much more
smoothly and much more for common benefit, which
helps everyone. What goes around comes around.

So I expect that if the votes in the first round
were sincere, contrary to the expectations of
some election theorists (including some Range
supporters, by the way, who don't like the runoff
because they fear it will elect the Condorcet
winner), the Range winner is most likely to prevail in the runoff.

But there is another possibility. The Range Votes
have typically been distorted by two factors:
first, normalization, where voters consider the
set of realistic winners and make their
preference range for those candidates conform to
the span of one full vote. So the *actual*
underlying preference strength expressed by a
particular vote is not proportional true absolute
expected satisfaction, comparable among the
voters. It's just a kind of approximation. Range
Voting does not produce perfect results, it can
fail to find, in simulations, always, the perfect
winner, i.e., the winner who truly maximizes the
assumed absolute satisfaction level. (This kind
of work can only be done in simulation, because
the simulator *starts* with assume absolute
satisfaction, which is then converted into
relative satisfaction when the votes are
translated to the ballot. It doesn't matter what
absolute satisfaction means, specifically; the
trick is getting a realistic distribution of
such; and there is a lot of work remaining to be
done with testing the predictions of the
simulators with actual voting behavior. But it is
the best work we have, so far, toward objectively
analyzing election performance. And there are
real situations where absolute utilities are
known. It's just that we have no way, at least
not yet, of directly measuring this with
abstractions like satisfaction with an election result.)

Then, as well, voters take into consideration
election probabilities. They don't want to waste
a portion of their vote, assigning preference
strength to a pairwise election that is not a
real contest. So, again, the Range Votes deviate
from actual preference strengths. Necessarily so.

But a runoff tests real, absolute preference,
roughly. This is why, I expect, top-two runoff
does much better than one might think. And it can
be greatly improved by better methods of choosing
the top two, if it is to be cut down to two.
(Remember, basic democratic election process
doesn't use eliminations at all, it uses repeated
balloting, and never elects without a majority.
That's standard Robert's Rules.) So, I've
suggested, the top two should be the Range winner
and the Condorcet winner, if they differ. Thus,
with that simple change, Range becomes Condorcet
compliant, satisfying the single most significant
objection made by theorists against it, that it
can elect a candidate who would be beaten by
another. Yes it can, though not in such an
offensive way as IRV can. But we can fix it.

(Besides, it's rare, and we might find from
experience that Range results are never reversed,
so we might, in the end, decide to get rid of the
runoffs. What ever happened to the idea of
*trying* something? At least, folks, we should
start using Range ballots to collect the
information. Even if we still awarded the victory
to the "plurality" winner. (Though if it is a
Range ballot we should, at least, allow multiple votes, i.e., Approval.)

>It would be interesting to know if the IRV promoters find also
>Condorcet to be a good method and worth promoting.

No. They don't. They criticize Condorcet. From
http://www.fairvote.org/?page=1920
(where FairVote examines, with their usual
deceptive arguments, other election methods.)

>Bottom-line: Condorcet-type voting violates the
>principle of requiring a minimum level of core
>support by permitting a candidate to win who
>would not win a single vote in a plurality election.

In other words, the Core Support Criterion --
which FairVote basically made up, the criterion
has no support elsewhere, and it really doesn't
make sense -- has become a basic principle.
That's turning a sow's ear into a silk purse,
alright! Here is their justification:

>Problem 1: With these rules, a candidate can win
>without being a single voter’s first choice. By
>putting such heavy emphasis on breadth of
>support, Condorcet-type systems, like approval
>voting, encourage candidates to be seen as the
>“least offensive” candidate rather than leaders
>who take strong positions that might alienate some voters.

Apparently, even the candidate's mother doesn't
vote for her? I guess that *would* be bad! Or
maybe she died, or couldn't make it to the polls.
The candidate herself doesn't vote for herself.
Definitely milquetoast. Look, if such a person
can actually win, it would be an amazing thing,
it's so extraordinarily unlikely. Notice the
talking ot of both sides of the mouth. An alleged
feature of IRV is reduction of negative
campaigning, as candidates will allegedly seek to
gain additional ranked votes from supporters of other candidates.

Sure. But that doesn't apply to frontrunners, who
stand, generally, *not* to gain such votes. How
many Gore voters were going to vote for Bush? And
if it's a good thing with IRV, why is it a bad
thing with a Condorcet method? There is no
evidence at all, from real elections, of the
effect that Richie claims on the FairVote site.
The truth is that single-winner leads to
polarization, where candidates seek to become the
favorite by being noticed for some striking
position. Or by knocking down their perceived
opponent. If we take proportional representation
to an extreme, this kind of motivation entirely
disappears. In fact, elections, really, could
cease to become contests, but merely be a process
by which the people choose their representatives,
with no losers, with compromise being necessary
only in certain respects due to the necessity to
limit access to the floor of an assembly, or else
it will become impossible to transact business.

Besides, which would you have as President, Mr.
Milquetoast or Adolf Hitler? The strong leader?
Yes, there are people who think like that! I'm
surprised, though, to see the thinking from a
group that used to call itself the Center for
Voting and Democracy. "Strong leader" is actually
one of the greatest hazards democracies face, for
strong leaders can sometimes win elections based
on their "core support" being the largest group.
And thus the largest private army, whether that
army fights literally with crowds and guns, or
less disruptively with money and corrupt influence.

>Problem 2: Condorcet comparisons can yield a
>situation where, in an election among Candidates
>A, B and C, Candidate A is preferred to B, B
>preferred to C, and C preferred to A. In this
>situation, there is no winner, and a “fallback”
>method must break the cycle. When this fallback
>is needed, sincere voters can be punished.
>Finally, Condorcet-type rules are difficult to
>count by hand in big elections. Hand-counting is
>important if problems emerge with voting machines or software.

Unmentioned in this, of course, the severe
difficulties that can be encountered in close
elections with IRV and hand-counting. It's done,
to be sure. But it can be quite a mess. In any
case, hand counting would be used to enter totals
into a spreadsheet containing the Condorcet
matrix. It's not difficult, and it does not
require "voting machines or software." The
spreadsheet data is then transmitted.

IRV requires either central counting of many,
many ballots -- which is pretty difficult -- or
local counting in rounds. That's the way it's
done, I understand, in Australia. Each precinct
counts its local first preference totals. It
transmits those totals to a central office. The
central office collects all those totals and adds
them up. It then sends back the loser, the
candidate to be eliminated, and these votes are
distributed to the remaining candidates, and the
totals sent in again. And the process is repeated
until the central office declares a winner. In
San Francisco, there were something like twenty
rounds involved in one election. IRV provides
many, many opportunities for ties, and tie
resolution methods are problematic, but the real
problem is that when an election is very close, a
single vote error is much more likely to affect
the result. Whenever hand counts are done, in my
experience, vote totals from one count don't
match the next, there are almost always errors,
even with only a few hundred votes (surprisingly
many, there are better ways of counting that
obviously aren't being used; the counting method
used here minimizes handling of the votes and
maximizes the ability of observers to supervise
each action, which can make the whole thing
totally tedioius. I've argued that counters
shouldn't *touch* the actual ballots, that they
should be counting *copies* (physical or on
computers) of the ballots. (Which is what
actually happens with voting machines, by the
way). And then counting could take place in the
most efficient way, and counting could be done by
multiple independent teams, so it's redundant
from the get-go, and errors would practically disappear.)

The point: an error in a precinct could change
the winner of a round and thus all subsequent
transmissions. If such an error is found, all the
later rounds of counting have to be repeated,
because they now involve different candidates.
And thus one does not accumulate a set of
validated, identical totals, so the error rate
does not fall with repeated counting, to that
degree. It is no wonder that San Francisco wasn't
able to release accurate results for *months* after November, 2007.

FairVote has made all these arguments in public
places, so they know the defects in the
arguments, or at least the counter-arguments. But
FairVote isn't about examining the issues
neutrally. It is an advocacy organization that
has it's mind made up, and it is in the
convincing others stage, and has been for years.
They have, as long as I've known about them, been
quite uninterested in cooperating with supporters
of other methods. They've been approached, I've
been cc'd on some of the emails, and they responded with contempt and insult.

>  Maybe their
>preference of IRV is partially based on the fact that it seems to be
>achievable right now. If the basic need is to change plurality to
>something that eliminates the current (small party) spoiler problem I
>think both IRV and Condorcet will do the job.

And so would simply counting all the votes.
Condorcet does count all the votes. But
apparently, the simple count-all-the-votes and
add them up is actually a better performing
method than Condorcet. What I'd really like to
see is the use of Range ballots, with full ballot
data being released (copies of individual
ballots   -- did you know that, for example, in
Florida, ballots are public record and anyone
willing to pay the cost of having a guard stand
there can photograph them? What if multiple
independent election observers had digital
cameras and could photograph the ballots
immediately when the boxes are opened? *It would
become impossible to manipulate the election
through control of the counting process*! No
reliance on voting machines, reliance only on
images of the primary voting records. And Range
ballots can be analyzed many different ways,
including Condorcet, sequential elimination, Approval, etc.

But for a first step, folks, let's realize it:
the obvious first step is to count all the votes.
Approval Voting. Should have been done a long
time ago; certain knee-jerk arguments against it
(what about "one person, one vote"?) turn out to
be based on an easy and false impression. (IRV
allows multiple votes, with only one being
effective at a time, which is why IRV supporters
consider it one-person, one-vote; but with
Approval, more than one vote can be active during
the process, but, in the end, only one vote
actually counts and all the others from a voter's
ballot could be eliminated without any effect on
the result. So the voter has only cast one
*effective* vote, which is the simplest
explanation I know of why Approval still
satisfies one person, one vote. Basically, the
extra votes are still alternative votes, never
can both end up being used. It's just that they
are equally alternative, not sequenced in priority.)

Robert's Rules instructs the clerk to disregard
ballots with more than one vote. Why? Because the
clerk cannot then discern the true intention of
the voter. But this isn't a reason to disallow
it, this is an instruction given with an
assumption that it is disallowed, and therefore
must be a mistake. Ballots generally don't say,
"Vote for your favorite," they say, "Vote for
one." If we assume that voters are voting for
their favorite (an assumption that actually holds
true in most society elections that hold repeated
balloting, which is what Robert's Rules is
talking about), then, yes, the clerk cannot
discern who is the favorite. But once we have
elimination and single-ballot elections come hell
or high water, "vote for your favorite" has
already gone out the window. And thus alternative
votes make sense, and the easiest way to allow
them is to stop disregarding them. Just count
them. A voter can decide, for example to vote
*against* a candidate, by voting for everyone
else preferred to that candidate. That can be
quite sincere, but, of course, it abstains from
the rest of the election. It makes sense if the voter really feels that way.

But, most obviously, supporters of minor
candidates in public elections will often choose
to also vote for a frontrunner, thus, quite
likely, ameliorating the spoiler effect. And
ranked Approval (Bucklin) should completely solve
it, for there is little reason for a third party
supporter, now able to express exclusive
preference his favorite, not to add a lower
preference vote for a realistic winner.

Yes, Bucklin does not satisfy later-no-harm. Your
second preference vote can hurt your first
preference. But if your first preference and
second preference are frontrunners, you aren't
going to add that second preference. Unless there
are *three* frontrunners where the whole thing becomes more commplicated.

Bucklin, though, could not elect the nightmare
scenario we'd described with IRV, where an
extremist candidate wins even though two-thirds
of the voters opposed him in favor of another
candidate, because of low "core support" -- first
preference support -- for the compromise winner.
That's because Bucklin counts all the votes. Same
as Condorcet, just in a different way. These
methods *usually* elect the Condorcet winner when
one exists, and usually a member of the cycle
when a unique one does not exist, and when they
don't -- particularly with Approval or Range --
it can be argued that the Condorcet winner was
not the optimal winner, the one most beneficial for society overall.

Oh. I forgot. According to these champions of
Voting and Democracy, the best winner is the
"strong leader." The one not afraid to offend,
perhaps to tell the enemies of society, those
disruptive and unpatriotic denizens of the other
side, how terrible they are, and to take strong
action against these enemies of all that is good
and true about our great nation.

>All methods do have strategy problems and careful analysis is needed
>(especially since strategies are different in different methods).

Actually, the only 'strategy problems' faced by
Range methods (including Approval) are with
strategy as it was redefined to create an
impression of vulnerability, once the proponents
of ranked methods, and especially of instant
runoff voting, realized how bad it looked that
Approval -- the original target of this -- was strategy free.

Approval was *designed* to be strategy-free. So
the spinmasters redefined strategy, considering
and labelling a vote, for example, exclusively
for the voter's favorite as "dishonest." An
"honest vote," they claim, would have approved
some other candidate. On what basis?

We don't need no stinking basis, we assume it. We
assume that the voter approves of two. But then
selfishly votes for his favorite.

When one looks closely at what this means, it
vanishes like mist in the morning. "approve" is a
relative term, it is not a quality of the
candidate in the voter's eyes unless the context
is known, what the realistic choices are. The
economists know that, to make intelligent,
optimized choices, one needs to know, before
investing in a particular option, what the
probability is of success. Approval allows one to
express a vote only between two sets of
candidates, so if a candidate pair is moot, one
does not want to waste the vote expressing that
pair unless it can be done without cost. One
must, with Approval, vote by setting the approval
cutoff between the frontrunners, if there are
only two, and somewhere in the middle of the set
of frontrunners, in the rare instance that there
are more than two. Only if one doesn't know the
frontrunners -- a rare voter -- would one vote
according to some vague notion of "approval."

Really. The whole question of the vulnerability
of Range Voting to strategy is quite problematic,
based on fuzzy definitions created specifically
to try to make Range appear vulnerable.

And then a *different* definition of sincere vote
is used to determine if Approval passes the
Majority Criterion. And that's another story by
itself. Just remember this: a "strategic vote" in
Range simply means a vote where the voter does
not reverse preference, but decides how strong a
vote to express in various candidate pairs, most
intelligently. And, in fact, I strongly advise
all voters to do this in the most effective way.
We *want* the voters to tell us what matters to
them, and how strongly it matters, and there is
no such thing as exaggerating for personal gain,
they are already expressing, we hope, what
maximizes their personal gain, and if everyone
does that intelligently, we get a very good result, definitely not a bad one.

What complicates it is that if, somehow, everyone
could vote accurate, absolute utilities, we would
then see that some voters could improve their
personal outcome, at general overall expense (but
slight expense), by exaggerating from the
absolute utilities. But that's not a realistic
scenario, there is no way to even know what the
absolute utilities are. As a voter, I only know
my personal utilities, not absolute utilities.
Absolute utilities for analysis of elections are
a theoretical construct that is assumed and then
used to generate realistic internal utilities and
from them, realistic voting patterns according to
various strategies employed in various methods.
That all this is true is then used to make it
seem that voters can exaggerate for personal
gain. Not in a real system. Only under two
conditions: people know absolute utilities and
are voting them -- something that is practically
impossible -- and very good knowledge of how
other voters will vote. To the extent that other
voter's votes are unclear, truly exaggerated
voting can be a serious mistake. They system might give you what you asked for.

Bullet vote for your favorite, A, when you prefer
A>B>>C, you might find that the system, if the
true choice turns out to be between B and C,
takes you at your vote that you don't care.

On the other hand, if the true race is between A
and B, it makes sense to vote full preference for
A. That's not dishonest, it is simply making a
choice between the realistic options. This is
what they call "strategic voting." It's a voting
strategy, yes. A simple one, easy to understand,
and it is how most people will vote. So what's the problem?