[Election-Methods] Partisan Politics

Fred Gohlke fredgohlke at verizon.net
Mon Mar 31 10:33:40 PDT 2008

Good Morning, Juho

Your "I'm sure that is not the last meaningful step in the evolution of
political systems." in response to my lament was a stunner.  What a
polite way you have of countering my expression of frustration.  Thanks,
I needed that.

re: "... one needs to adapt to a situation where the main decisions and
most powerful streams and even highest respect in the society will occur
at a suboptimal level."

I agree we must adapt to such a situation, for we have little choice,
but I don't think we should accept it.  The essence of progress is
considering possibilities and alternatives, often to things thought
immutable.

On the other hand, as you say, "People ... believe that their current
principles (and resulting practices) are the right ones.  They will
fight against models that some other people may consider superior."  I
know.  I've spent a goodly portion of my life at their forefront.

In the final analysis, I think those of us who feel compelled to "find a
better way" must do our utmost to be reasonable, seek the guidance of
those with expertise, and carefully consider the thoughtful opinions of
others.

re: "It makes sense to guarantee all the safety to this small group of
members of the society to make it possible for them to fully concentrate
in acting for the best of the society"

I agree.  We should offer advanced education, career training and small
business loans, and, possibly, salary continuation for a period of time
following the end of their term.

In addition, since the upper levels of the electoral process and actual
service demand time away from one's employment, we may want to consider
a law requiring that employers grant employees time to participate,
without penalty.  We do that for jury duty and military service.

re: "... setting some limitations on their life may be sensible for the
same reason."

You are the first person I've talked to who recognized this need.  My
thoughts on the topic stem, in part, from my brief experience lobbying
against the Transportation Act of 1958 (which passed, in spite of my
valiant efforts.)  One thing I learned was that it is well-nigh
impossible to defeat the persistent access professional lobbyists have
to our elected representatives, an access that fosters subornation.

It seems to me our elected representatives are in service, just like
members of the armed services.  Like members of our armed forces, I
think elected officials should be kept at a government installation and
access to them should be restricted.

The facilities at the installation should be as palatial as need be,
with golf courses, marinas, and all forms of educational and
entertainment facilities, but access to our representatives should be
restricted.  Those who wish to influence legislation should present
their arguments, publicly, in the hearing rooms provided for the
purpose.  That should be the absolute limit of their interaction with
our elected representatives.

Fred