[Election-Methods] YN model - simple voting model in which range optimal, others not

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Sun Mar 30 20:48:56 PDT 2008

At 10:27 PM 3/30/2008, Dave Ketchum wrote:

>Runoffs main value is recovering from a methods weaknesses until
>something can be done about the method.  They are too expensive to
>be accepted as if a normal part of a usable method.

What is missed here is that the basic requirement for an election
method to be truly democratic is that the result actually be accepted
by a majority of those voting. Runoffs are a device for doing this,
and, as implemented, they are even better than they might seem,
though taking advantage of the facility is rare. In many runoffs, the
voter can write in a candidate, still. Thus it is theoretically
possible for another candidate than the top two to win. But with
Plurality, this trick is dangerous; only if there is a true majority
requirement, enforced through as many ballots as it takes, is there
real democracy. Anything short of that is a compromise.

The problem is much more soluble than might appear. Elect
representatives, through methods that insure that everyone or almost
everyone is represented. Then the assembly of representatives elects
officers. Parliamentary system. Democratic. Note that the U.S.
started out with something like this, but it was corrupted and
perverted by the party system and the fact that the Constitutional
Convention just couldn't work out better rules for the selection of
electors. Further, not having proportional representation in the
House made it all the quirkier.

>>>I object to calling this example "likely" - think of such as 16
>>>with 3 Ys together with ZERO 4 Ys.
>>
>>Yes, but. Think of 100016 with 3 Ys together with 100000 with 4 Ys.
>>That is, add 100000 to all position counts and thus to all vote
>>counts. The results are the same. It looks drastic because the
>>election has been boiled down to the *margins*.
>>Note that if positions are random, we would expect 4 occurrences of
>>3Ys for every occurrence of 1 Y. It is like the number of
>>occurrences of coin toss patterns. If we throw a coin many times,
>>and count the occurrence of each sequence of four, we will get
>>these patterns of equal probability:
>>YYYY
>>YYYN
>>YYNY
>>YNYY
>>NYYY
>
>Without arguing the exact validity of the above, the following
>combinations in the test case were stretching expectability:
>      16 3Y with 0 4Y
>      4 3N with 5 4N
>
>And, again, Plurality did not fail - it simply responded neutrally
>to the collection of votes.

Plurality awards the win to the candidate with the most first place
votes, since that it all it detects. As shown, it is quite possible
that this candidate is not at all the best candidate, and that, in
fact, a majority of voters would agree.

What I wrote above was simple, and it addressed the exact situation
that Ketchum then responded with. The sequences I have were the
sequences with 3 and 4 Y votes; the point was that there were many
more 3Ys than 4Ys (i.e, 4 vs. 1) and this would hold with large
numbers of voters with random positions. Ketchum had asserted that
there was something unlikely about there being 4 and 0. And I pointed
out that this is actually only one vote different from the most
common pattern. The odd one is at the other end, where there are 4 3N
votes and 5 4N votes. The latter is five times the expected number.
But the sample is small and that kind of deviation would not be
terribly unlikely, and, if we see the scenario as being a reduction
by subtracting 100,000 votes from each total, what we really have is
an even distribution with very small deviations. (the deviations in
such a large sample would be expected to be larger than than, in fact.)

But, again, the point was that the election is a possible one, not
that it was a probable one. It illustrates what *can* go wrong with
plurality, not what would *usually* go wrong.

It's really simple: to repeat, with sincere voting and a large field
of candidates covering all positions, Plurality is quite unreliable,
and this is known and seen in real elections. Because of the politics
of it all, plurality still works, usually. But definitely not
reliably. It can easily pick a candidate who would be rejected by a
large majority in favor of another candidate in the race.

>One more time:  Plurality reports what the voters vote.

That's kind of an oxymoron. All functioning election methods "report
what the voters vote," though some report more than others. Some
allow voters to express much more information, Plurality is about the
minimum possible.

>>However, Range would always choose YYYY. It was *designed* to do that.
>>Always. If voters vote sincerely.

And Bucklin, at least in the example studied, likewise chooses YYYY,
whereas IRV, ranked according to certain assumptions, chose a 3Y
winner. Not bad, not optimal.