[Election-Methods] YN model - simple voting model in which range optimal, others not

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Sun Mar 30 09:54:40 PDT 2008

At 08:30 AM 3/30/2008, Dave Ketchum wrote:
>On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 23:28:22 -0400 Abd ul-Rahman Lomax wrote:
>>At 03:32 PM 3/29/2008, Dave Ketchum wrote:
>>
>>>Some see forest; some see trees; who sees all?
>>
>>Those who see a forest made up of trees.
>>
>>>Looking at the 31 voter Plurality example:
>>>      16 voted for candidates with 3 or more Ys - but NONE for 4 Ys.
>>>      9 voted for candidates with 3 or more Ns - 9 going all the
>>> way to 4 Ns.
>>>
>>>Seeing that as unbalanced, I inverted it.
>>
>>Which, of course, does nothing. Y and N are arbitrary. In the
>>example, Y means the majority position. Period.
>
>Except, with complete inversion, N inherits majority position.

(by the way, you meant to write *5* going all the way....)

Yes. All you have done is to change the names of things. N is now the
majority position. And YYYY wins. Your point?

The point is that Plurality is a method which considers only first
preference. If voters vote sincerely, all that matters is that first
preference, and it is entirely possible (and rational, though not
"probable*) that there are more first preference voters with the
majority-rejected position than for any other. Start to consider
mixed sincere/tactical voting and it gets even more possible.

Plurality only works as a voting method when the field is restricted,
and, even then, as we know, it can fail. With many candidates, it
thoroughly breaks down. Range works well with many candidates.
However, "works well" is still relative. Single-ballot election
systems with many candidates are inherently flawed; natural systems
would break the decision down and deal with it hierarchically.
Hierarchical systems may tend toward the Condorcet winner; however,
in practice, in the biological applications, decisions are weighted
and passed on, up the hierarchy, as weighted, thus both Condorcet and
Range aspects are functioning.

(Note that basic democratic process is hierarchical. Decisions are
broken down into a series of Yes/No votes. "Election methods," which
break this pattern, are so problematic precisely because they deviate
from this practice. There still remains the basic Condorcet vs. Range
problem; but functional systems do incorporate preference strength
measures and thus move what might otherwise be accidental (or
designed) victories for particular members of a Condorcet cycle
toward the Range winner. In pairwise contests, a weak preference
attracts little campaign funding....)

(My view is that if it is average Range as distinct from sum-of-votes
Range, it has somewhat similar problems when there are many
candidates, and the "quorum rule" is an arbitrary fix that likewise
can break down with many candidates. Unlike basic Range voting, which
is quite solid and has been extensively studied with simulations (and
the simulations had no "abstentions" if I am correct), average Range
has not been studied and is merely an idea that can seem good at
first sight. It is a radical departure from existing practice, and,
if included in Range proposals for real elections, will *kill* them.
It has a place in advisory systems, where the use of average rating
is then subjected to further judgment, thus covering all the nasty
possibilities without trying to create a rigid rule.)

>Agreed ANY collection of voters would be possible, but YN offers
>this collection as demonstrating what to expect from Plurality.

No. That is the basic error Dave made from the beginning. "What to
expect" from Plurality is a gamut of behavior. The example was
designed to show a bad element of that gamut. Not to claim that this
is what to "expect."

With many candidates, though, failure to elect YYYY becomes the norm.
Election of NNNN would still be rare.

Consider, though, that if on each measure the electorate is divided
equally (almost) between Y and N, and if these positions are
uncorrelated, the pattern described becomes, with many voters, about
as likely as any other pattern. (That's my intuition. It may not be
exactly true. But for NNNN to have 5 votes more than YYYY is almost
as likely as for it to have 4 or any other small number. The
distribution would be relatively flat around that peak.)

>Actually Plurality is neutral as a method - a desirable feature.

Sure. So is flipping a coin. Is that desirable?

Another neutral method, actually better than flipping a coin, is
Random Ballot, used with a plurality ballot. A ballot is selected at
randon and the candidate on that ballot wins. It is actually a
reasonable method. It *usually* selects the best winner. It behaves
quite like Plurality in certain ways. But, obviously, it can fail
spectacularly.

The Plurality failure in the example given isn't as spectacular as it
might seem, because the electorate is actually close to balance.
Range shows that the balance isn't as close as it might look -- the
Range margin isn't small -- but from other measures, the result is
not as bad as it might seem. As much as I detest the result of the
2000 U.S. Presidential election, all the violations of law and
precedent, it must also be seen that the electorate was close to
balance. It's not as extreme as what is theoretically possible. (IRV,
as an example, can elect a candidate who is opposed by two-thirds of
the electorate, as shown by the votes, compared to another candidate.
That's pretty bad. It's also pretty unlikely to approach that
extreme, but milder examples probably occur (or would occur if
top-two runoff is replaced with IRV, as is happening in the U.S.)

>Plurality's inadequacy, which causes us to look for better methods,
>involves limiting approval to a single candidate.  When faced with
>candidate collections such as Bush/Gore/Nader, voters sometimes wish
>to approve more than one as better than those they want to reject.

Yes. Approval actually brings us back, closer, to standard
deliberative process. It holds multiple simultaneous elections. Now,
suppose that, with Approval, a runoff is held whenever there is
majority failure, and let's assume that there are two kinds of
majority failure: no candidate gets a majority, or more than one
candidate gets a majority. (We should be so lucky as to see the
latter; in spite of this being a major argument made against Approval
--- when this happens, it could be that the majority favorite has
fewer votes than another also-approved candidate, thus the Majority
Criterion fails --, in real, contested elections, it is quite
unlikely. It would require a significant number of voters to, say,
vote for both Gore and Bush. Yeah, right.)

If a runoff is held in either of these two situations, there is then
the problem of who makes the runoff. The method is quite good with
simply top-two. However, standard deliberative process, which uses
repeated balloting to find a majority winner, with *no* candidate
eliminated (and which can thus go to *many* polls), would indicate
that this could be restrictive. Still, if we are choosing between two
candidates, say, both of which were majority approved, the result is
not going to be truly bad no matter how it turns out.

But Approval is also a blunt instrument, still. The method gains
flexibility if fractional votes can be cast, thus allowing the voter
to express true preferences *and* preference strength, and then the
method can actually maximize what Clay Shentrup first called, as I
recall, Total Voter Satisfaction. If voters vote sincerely. If they
don't, the method obviously cannot maximize their overall
satisfaction; however, it appears that it generally fails to do so in
a direction *not* favorable to those who exaggerate. Exaggeration
*may* help such voters elect their favorite, but only when that
favorite is close to winning anyway, and it can help to defeat the
second choice of those exaggerating voters, and the punishment can be
quite a bit more severe than the reward.

When Range allegedly disappoints "sincere voters" due to the "greedy
tactics" of others, the fact is that the disappointment is small. In
the examples I've seen, those sincere voters will be, as they
expressed, quite happy with the outcome, and it would only be an
insinuating voice that would say, "But, if you had exaggerated like
they did, you'd have ended up with $1.00 instead of $0.99." Given
that my loss of $0.01 -- multiplied by all those who voted like me --
was more than balanced by a net gain of my neighbors, I'd tell that
voice to go fly a kite. And if it was a politician saying that, he or
she would never again have a chance to win my vote.

Plurality works under current conditions, most of the time, because
generally the candidates have been vetted so that the choice is
really between two. Duverger's Law. Plurality creates a two-party
system. When third parties arise, though, Plurality starts to break
down. Top-two runoff works *much* better than Plurality (for the same
reasons as IRV, but with an additional factor that actually makes it
better than IRV. TANSTAAFL, though. Top-two can cost more; it's not
surprising that a superior election method would cost more. Approval
gets us closer at no cost, and Approval plus top-two (which would be
less common, since Approval helps reach a majority) is a good
compromise. Bucklin, even better, because it does allow expression of
preferences. (Three, in the Duluth implementation, with multiple
approvals allowed in the third rank. I would simply allow multiple
approvals in all ranks. Thus if you are actually happy with two
candidates as winners, you can vote for both in first rank.)

Bucklin has started to seem to me as even better than Approval for
U.S. practical implementations, though we can get to Approval with no
cost at all. Bucklin does require more ballot space, though, like
Approval, it can be done with all existing equipment. With
hand-counting, it could also be counted in rounds, like IRV, so it
does not raise hand-counting costs unless it is needed. (But I'd
still want to see all the votes counted; the common IRV practice of
ceasing counting when a winner has been found makes it impossible to
analyze what happened, and to discover and measure IRV majority
failure -- where a majority preferred another candidate to the IRV winner.)

Bucklin really deserves more attention. Consider that it was popular
in the U.S. for a time, and consider that it was working. Arguments
against it were not based on actual harm that made sense. My theory,
as yet unsubstantiated, is that it was outlawed or rescinded
precisely because it was working, and it would have allowed third
parties to gain a toehold.

>I object to calling this example "likely" - think of such as 16 with
>3 Ys together with ZERO 4 Ys.

Yes, but. Think of 100016 with 3 Ys together with 100000 with 4 Ys.

That is, add 100000 to all position counts and thus to all vote
counts. The results are the same. It looks drastic because the
election has been boiled down to the *margins*.

Note that if positions are random, we would expect 4 occurrences of
3Ys for every occurrence of 1 Y. It is like the number of occurrences
of coin toss patterns. If we throw a coin many times, and count the
occurrence of each sequence of four, we will get these patterns of
equal probability:

YYYY
YYYN
YYNY
YNYY
NYYY

There are four of the 3-match positions to each one of the 4-match.
Actually, what is unlikely is that there are so many NNNN positions,
and, in the expanded situation I mentioned (add 100,000) to all
votes, that there would be so *many* YYYY positions and NNNN
positions is the oddity, not that there are so few.

But these were *not* random positions. They were chosen to show a
behavioral extreme. Yet Range functions fine with that extreme.
That's the point. Plurality breaks down, IRV performs okay (choosing
a 3Y candidate in that situation), but Range performs perfectly,
because it was, in fact, designed to. So does Bucklin, so does
Approval (probably).

>>However, not only does it seem probable that Dave would not
>>understand this, I'd guess he is not reading this at all, because
>>he hasn't responded to any of my explanations, only to Warren. So,
>>would someone who isn't filtered out by Dave be so kind as to
>>explain this to him?
>
>Tracing the filtering back to what you sent me on 23/3/08 at 2359, I
>assume it was unintentional, and will undo it.

I've looked at my email records and find nothing that would explain
this comment. Perhaps someone can help us out. To my knowledge, I
sent no comments personally to Mr. Ketchum, but only replied to
"All." Mr. Ketchum's copy of that mail would have the original
headers, I assume. If he sends them to me personally, I'll examine them.

>I did not attempt to analyze the quality of the Range analysis, but
>suspect that, based on what was done to Plurality.

An example was presented where Plurality does maximally poorly, Range
performs like it always performs, to maximize expressed voter
satisfaction. Range would perform this way with *all* election
scenarios. Now, how often would Plurality choose the YYYY winner?
(i.e., over all possible permutations).

You can estimate it from the relative frequencies. Plurality with
sincere voting (one of the conditions) will choose the specific
candidate with the most voters matching that position. As the
situation is designed, all the specific positions would have the same
probability. (This is equivalent to saying that every exact sequence
of coin tosses has the same frequency as every other exact sequence.
There are four times as many 3Ys as there are 4Ys because the latter
is an exact sequence and the former is comprised of four different
exact sequences.)

Thus Plurality would choose YYYY one out of sixteen times.
It would choose one of the 3Y candidates four out of sixteen times.
It would choose one of the 2Y candidates six out of sixteen times.
It would choose one of the 1Y candidates four out of sixteen times.
It would choose NNNN one out of sixteen times.

However, Range would always choose YYYY. It was *designed* to do that.

Always. If voters vote sincerely.