[Election-Methods] Partisan Politics

Fred Gohlke fredgohlke at verizon.net
Fri Mar 28 20:05:25 PDT 2008

Good Morning, Juho

Very well said.  I hope you're right.  I hope we can improve our
political systems in less than 200 years.  But, as you point out, "...
the current establishment always has clear reasons to oppose any
changes."  That will make the process slow, and, possibly, painful.

You mention the growth of corruption as a possible alternative to the
attainment of a more democratic government.  There is little doubt of
the cyclical nature of human interaction; "a tide in the affairs of man"
as Shakespeare put it.  Society constantly moves between states of high
principle and abject baseness  We can never know precisely where we are
in that cycle.

In fact, even though we are all a part of it, people's perception of the
cycle differs.  Not many young people can see the change from the
human-oriented society of my youth to the corporate-dominated society we
endure today.  For most of them, "It is what it is".  They attach little
importance to the obscure and arcane legislation that enabled the
transition and are even less inclined to seek an understanding of how
and why it happened.  Is it hopeless to think we will ever look inside
ourselves and learn to harness our own natures to the task of improving
society?

re: "... change will come when ... the citizens have some basic reason
(dissatisfaction) to change the current system."

One of our challenges is to prepare well-reasoned alternatives before
any change occurs.  There is a risk that dissatisfaction will lead to
violence, and violence thrives on emotion at the expense of reason.  We
would do well to forestall that eventuality.

Since our political institutions reflect our nature, do you think I
should be surprised that so few seem willing to look at how our systems
evolved?  Are we so proud of our tendency toward partisanship that we're
unwilling to look at how easily it is used to exploit us?  Are we so
anxious to say "I'm right. You're wrong." that we won't consider
alternatives?  It is unfortunate that those who have written to me
privately on this topic have not added their expertise to our public
discussion.

I'm deeply grateful for your participation which helps me see the issues
more clearly.  Your comments on secret voting led me to examine the
voting process in greater detail than I had before.  There are any
number of other subtleties worthy of deeper thought.  For example in a
dynamic system of the type we've been discussing, some folks who are
elected to public office will not be re-elected.  In our House of
Representatives in the U. S., we would be asking people to take two
years out of their life for public service with no guarantee that they
will not be out of a job after two years.  Shouldn't our political
system provide the means and the money for their transition to private life?

Fred